pc not connecting to internet

TSS Modder

2[H]4U
the internet on a computer im attempting to fix isnt working. ive tried different PCI ethernet cards and it wont work. the IP address remains at 169. something (its the windows automatic IP network thing, according to my service provider)

ive tried a diff NIC card, ipconfig /release (it wont do that anymore... weird...) ipconfig /renew. and nothing worked. it happened right after i put on AVG 7, and it began to remove viruses. i think a virus had infected a networkin file and has disabled the network since i took it off, because there were many trojans.

the last thing i want to do is reformat, but if i have to, i need to copy all of their info, which is where my other issue lies (details here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=879885 )

its really weird, but ive narrowed it down to a software problem. maybe i could do a recovery? ill try that as soon as i go downstairs. then well see what happens and goes from there.

specs:
PC Chips M848ALU
amd athlon xp 2000+
256mb RAM
apollo geforce 2 mx400

NIC is onboard, and ive tried a realtek PCI NIC. same problem.

LoStMaTt said:
Someone else had a similar problem a few posts down. Google : Winsock Fix.
well if it is a winsock fix, thatd be really really nice, since its simple.

and please dont flame me for not looking through the forum... i wouldve had absolutely no idea it wouldve been winsock.

thanks for the help. ill try that right now.

well winsock did fix part of it. im not gettin an error message whenever i ask the computer to repair the network connection. so that aspect is good.

but when i do click 'repair' itll eventually come up w/ an error stating 'the IP address could not be renewed.'

now what?? :confused: :(

Back