PC Makers Don't See Sales Spark From Microsoft's Windows 7

PC Makers Don't See Sales Spark From Microsoft's Windows 7

This is from the business section from CNN news.
Do you agree or disagree? Rant or agree much as you can, so we know what others feel. Knowing others opinions can give people a basic direction for the future. I'm going to agree and disagree with this article. I think Win7 will increase PC desktop and laptop sales, but going to KILL netpc and netbook sales.

The economy is tough right now. And I don't buy computers specifically for the OS.

I do tend to build my own though but the current economic recession has hit too close to home so I won't even be doing that for awhile.

I would disagree with the article at this point in time, as a lot of people (no stats, just basing it off of different forums I frequent) skipped Vista but at the same time are praising the Win7 beta.

Win7 was also built with Netbooks in mind, this is why it scales so much better than Vista, so I would disagree with this specific point that you brought up.

At the very least, you'll see businesses move to win7 from XP. To me that's almost a guarantee...and will include hardware sales. We'll have to see how much FUD there was in Balmers' statements about Win7 concerning netbooks..but people are putting Win7 on Pentium Moble machines with 1gb of RAM and have positive things to say.

Win7 was also built with Netbooks in mind, this is why it scales so much better than Vista, so I would disagree with this specific point that you brought up.

Interesting you said that...When they meant netbook specific, it meant able to sleep certain cores during low operations. This technology has been around for while. Intel offered this options and open source kernel developers offered it right away. It is new for MS. According to one developer I spoke with. He said it will drain out more power based on the current technology. I guess hardware developers need to swing over to be Win7 ready on many platforms. Win7's able to hibernate few cores will only be utilize for laptops and desktops with a muticore technology. All the current netbook uses 270, which is a single core. There is no word from Intel that they going to develop dual core for the netbook. Currently, dual core ATOM 330 is available through few motherboard vendors. 330 wasn't designed for netbooks. It is interesting that Win7 will support 32 cores.

I don't care whether or not they're being objective - as businesspeople they should put forward a positive attitude towards software they will inevitably be selling. Why would the general consumer want to buy an OEMs product if the companies themselves don't like it?

The supposed dim prospects for Windows 7's impact on PC sales also suggest there are diminished expectations that touch screens will be a big winner with consumers. Microsoft's Windows 7 adoption of touch screens is a gamble that consumers will ultimately prefer using their fingers to command their machines by literally touching the screen rather than using a mouse and keypad.

Interest in adding this new wrinkle grew from the success of the Apple Inc. ( AAPL) iPhone and iPhone 3G smartphones, which feature touch screens.

This statement alone shows me how little the author understands.

Touch and pen technology have been in Windows for over six years now, almost five years before the iPhone, its simply evolving in Windows 7 and might I say that its impressive as hell.

Also I don't get why people talk about pen and touch as a zero sum game. Pen and touch and keyboards and mice coexist very well. While keyboard are great for fast text entry, try taking math notes with one are laying in the bed in the dark to read and surf with a keyboard.

Pen and touch don't replace keyboards and mice, they add another interface that has its advantage in certain environments.

I don't believe the OS is a big decision maker as to when to purchase a computer, and with the financial difficulties present, it will not effect much of anything, except for a few enthusiest.

How many people do you know that are OS enthusiest that would buy a whole new PC just to get the OS? Most folks I know would just get the OS and install it on a different partition, or just build their own box.

When making a decision to buy, most folks make the decision based upon economics at the time. Can I afford a new computer? Yes or No. It's not "Can I afford a new windows 7 computer". You can get the OS of your choosing. It will change the price, a small amount to the total cost of the machine.

I don't believe the OS is a big decision maker as to when to purchase a computer, and with the financial difficulties present, it will not effect much of anything, except for a few enthusiest.

How many people do you know that are OS enthusiest that would buy a whole new PC just to get the OS? Most folks I know would just get the OS and install it on a different partition, or just build their own box.

When making a decision to buy, most folks make the decision based upon economics at the time. Can I afford a new computer? Yes or No. It's not "Can I afford a new windows 7 computer". You can get the OS of your choosing. It will change the price, a small amount to the total cost of the machine.

I'm going to agree with you. Some times, technologists have to look at things in the perspective of users and investors. It is very difficult for technologists look at things in a different perspective, because our heads are so deep in the ground from work.

That is why I always said, the killer app for the user isn't the OS. However, for the technologists, it is.

Big factor in overall sales for an OS is business/enterprise networks.

In that article..I noticed the 2 biggest vendors..Dell and HP, had no comment.

Overall, Vista has been ignored by most SMB/business/enterprise IT. It is not widespread. I'm still selling HP business desktops with XP Pro downgrades to 99% of my clients.

They can't hold onto XP forever. It won't be availabe forever. In another year...they won't be settling for Vista SP2 either...I have a hunch they'll be jumping on Windows 7 before SP1 is out....at higher rates than you usually see a new OS be adopted.

So to sum up, I think we'll see Windows 7 adopted substantially faster than Vista was, I think we'll see sales jump up after a short period of time.

It is good to understand different perspectives. I think we will see some positive things from this. However, this alone won't be a good sale. If I was planning the Win7 roll out, I would have some surprises for the business market so the business people have something to jump on to. If few new "light" products that can be use widely across various hardware, and integrate tighter with 7, it will get wider coverage about the product. And, others can try with different OSes to get the feel for it. It will appear as an unlimited trial product, but the full benefit only appears with Win7.

Actually I think you'll see some good uptake of Windows 7 in the business world as Vista's adoption was on the light side.

XP will be eight years old at the end of the year and hopefully the economy will be on the rebound by then.

I think many people had bad first impressions of vista as an unfinished product and have decided to wait for the next windows which would probably have it all sorted out. But XP is still fine for many people but personally I couldn't live without my search bar in the start menu.

I don't think people will just buy a new computer because of a new windows. It's more just kind of the new status quo for newest pc's in general for when people actually need to upgrade.

My HP with XP will be 5 years old February 09, will be looking at a new computer in one year, right now Win 7 looks good to me.

Back