• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC looses power during Crysis 2

Halbrium

n00b
Joined
Feb 17, 2010
Messages
30
i7 930 @ 3.2
x2 580 gtx in SLI

My PC losses power any time I play for longer than 20-30 seconds. No blue screen, its almost as if you just ripped out the power cord.

It only does this on Crysis 2. I have tested it on WoW, Dragon Age 2, League of Legends, and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I RAed both the gpus got new ones. Same issue. Now I know the next guess would be the PSU, but considering it never does this even during 5 hour play sessions of DA2 on Max, why dosen't it like crysis 2? Could it be something software related?
 
What PSU do you have?

Crysis 2 could possibly be loading the cards more than those other games, requiring more power.

Does the computer shut-down requiring you to press the power button again or does it restart?
 
What PSU do you have?

Crysis 2 could possibly be loading the cards more than those other games, requiring more power.

Does the computer shut-down requiring you to press the power button again or does it restart?

1.2 kw alienware psu (yea dell sucks)

It doesn't seem like a crash because it doesn't hang, BSOD, or anything like that. The computer does however restart.
 
Did you test your overclock to make certain it was 100% stable in both games and stress testers?
 
Well the GPU is at stock.

Btw I just tried lowering the voltage of the gpu to 975 from 1000. It seems to not die anymore.

So does that mean its the PSU?
 
How long have you had the PSU?

Also, its most likely a cheapo 1200, not a good one.
 
How long have you had the PSU?

Also, its most likely a cheapo 1200, not a good one.

2 Months.

Also does anyone know if it damages the GPU if you downvolt without changing the clockspeed? (because it still seems to work)
 
It shouldn't damage the GPU, it would just cause instabilites at high stress levels I think.

Honestly though, get a different PSU if you can and try it out.
 
i7 930 @ 3.2
x2 580 gtx in SLI

My PC losses power any time I play for longer than 20-30 seconds. No blue screen, its almost as if you just ripped out the power cord.

It only does this on Crysis 2. I have tested it on WoW, Dragon Age 2, League of Legends, and Battlefield Bad Company 2.

I RAed both the gpus got new ones. Same issue. Now I know the next guess would be the PSU, but considering it never does this even during 5 hour play sessions of DA2 on Max, why dosen't it like crysis 2? Could it be something software related?

Powersupply issue. Just replace it with the new gold series power supply. I would recommend corsair professional gold series.

http://www.corsair.com/power-supplies/modular-psus/professional-series-gold-2.html
 
disable automatic restart
then you know if its a bluescreen or not

That's a good place to start, another option would be to check event viewer since any BSOD should show up in there.

Since the power supply is a likely source of the issue I would see if the motherboard has an option in the BIOS to have the computer not restart after power loss(making sure that windows is set to restart after system failure), then if the computer shuts off and doesn't restart you know that it lost power.
 
What PSU do you have?

Crysis 2 could possibly be loading the cards more than those other games, requiring more power.

Does the computer shut-down requiring you to press the power button again or does it restart?

Sounds like psu to me...

Well the GPU is at stock.

Btw I just tried lowering the voltage of the gpu to 975 from 1000. It seems to not die anymore.

So does that mean its the PSU?

As everyone has already pointed out, your power supply is the problem. I'd grab something decent in the 1000W+ range. A dell alienware power supply is not all that good and probably can't deliver the rated 1200w or whatever it says on the sticker.
 
Hmm, I've seen this before typical CCP Power failure

Get a good PSU, I like the corsair ones recommended but keep an eye out for other good brands that could be on sale

E.G.

Enermax
Antec
Silverstone
XFX

BTW

CCP = Crappy Conole Port :p :D
 
I'll jump in this thread, but you never want to play games with your PSU. The PSU is one of few components in a computer that has the ability to take out every other component in the system when it blows. If you believe(and it appears to be the case) that your current PSU is suspect, don't bother hesitating to replace it as you should be doing it as soon as you wake up tomarrow. Undervolting your video card to avoid a PSU related shutdown is still not addressing the problem of the PSU being suspect. We just had a folder on our team who had a PSU blow with it ending up taking out various components. The last thing you want to do is lose your motherboard, ram, cpu, or GPU's.
 
Could be the PSU, but it could also be a RAM issue as well. I remember my AMD x2 rig I had. When ever I would play Quake 4 it would just shut down, as if the power cord were pulled out. It would only happen in Quake 4 no other game. I ran memtest86 and it turns out one of my sticks of RAM had gone bad. I guess Quake managed to hit that fault. I replaced the RAM and never had that issue again.

So I would say run memtest86+ if it comes back clean, then I say almost 100% it's the PSU.
 
Back
Top