PC locks up

Sotorious

Limp Gawd
I have had this issue while watching videos only but when ever i gamed i would never lock up.

Now i been playing battlefield and so far my pc has locked up and the sound just keeps looping, now i am wondering if a component going bad? Usually if its ram wouldnt it just bluescreen?

can it be moved? Well i was sort of putting it under here because its really just freezing on one game. If a mod can move this to the proper section.

Sucks to have to diagnose your main box dude. Since both video playback and gaming are mentioned i would recommend running some diagnostics against your card. One way to do this I think would be to run something like furmark, or some kind of techdemo, or benchmark utility... Another thing to consider is whether you have updated drivers or added any other software OTHER than BF3 lately and what function it performs IE video driver or video codec of sort.

Thread may need to be moved yes, but I saw it on the front page and thought I could assist. :)

Another thing is bluescreens can happen for various things, recently my home system was giving BSOD (0xF4) and it ended up being my boot hard drive. You are correct to assume that bluescreens happen primarily because of hardware issues (drivers i'm also tossing into that pile but a driver BSOD in my time is typically tied to bad hardware, ymmv) but not always just ram. If you think ram might be an issue, you should run memtest86 or windows memory diagnostic; AND HERE IS THE KEY: run the test against one stick at a time using the same slot, if you had 2 sticks in your box while running the test how do you know which is bad?

Thanks for the help yea the new amd drivers just came 3 days ago so i havent got a chance to update that. Now your saying this looks more like a video problem VS ram or cpu. Only other times its freezed on me in the passed is on flash videos or something like that. So i thought it was a flash problem at first

Played bfbc2 before and a lot of hours of HoN and no hiccups.

Now bf3 comes a long and starts doing all this.

In terms of troubleshooting down to whether it's one of the four primary components that are stressed by gaming (motherboard/cpu/ram/video) i tend to group motherboard and cpu into one, and weigh any possibility of failure on the mainboard instead of the cpu. Reason being is that the motherboard has more components to it and more subsystems (memory channel, chipset, network, etc etc you get the picture).
Now i don't think it's a board/cpu issue. If you are suspecting RAM issues you should diagnose that with a memory test utility, but I think you may want to consider the video card the more likely suspect. Another couple things to consider is dust buildup on the inside of the heatsink of the card... Try using canned air blowing through the heatsink TOWARDS the fan as it can free up any dust clogging the airflow also check the cpu cooler while you're at it. YET another thing to consider is whether it's online video or video files you have on disk. If online then you can try another browser to see if you can replicate it. If you also notice your boot times to be inordinately long or to load into softwares you might want to ensure your disk utilization is relitively low and possibly run chkdsk or defrag it as well.

Not trying to needlessly complicate things but going through the steps i would if i were in front of your machine :)

known problem

mine does it too. people have tried everything. the only solid thing out there that would probably work is changing out sound cards if you have a realtek sound card on board.

it pisses me off. i can play for 14 hours off and on and i could crash in 1 minute some rounds, and its not my rig. i can run intel linpack64 and furmark at the same time for over an hour no hiccups nothing.

for most of us exhibiting this it isnt our rigs (or it is but its BF3 that has the problem with it)

so.. if youve updated drivers, windows, your psu/vid is fine.. and everything else works like other games..

try to wait it out.

what I found helped was (i have a realtek sound card) I disabled it, and ran the sound thru the HDMI port from my video card thru my tv.

i didnt lock up once, I crashed once (apphang)

but no hard lock.

Forgot to mention:

My problem is exacerbated when I use voice comms.

So wait Dice/EA didn't test their games with systems that have Realtek device as their primary sound output?!

I mean the days of necessitating a dedicated soundcard are long gone, and realtek devices are the de-facto standard pretty much... And they're having issues with playing nice with them? Le sigh. :(

I know right.. this should be standard with a AAA release... Especially when they know the problem already exists...

Oh and I had no issues in the BETA.

if you google back some, apparently this problem existed in BC2... and its still not fixed. Apparently it has to do with Punkbuster/Realtek. ALC1000+ chipsets are fine, anything sub 1000 is not from what ive read, and ive done A LOT of reading.

I have not bought a new sound card yet im just bearing it.. I dont lock up that much so whatevs... Just cant use voice comms.. If it comes to be that bad I will buy a bravura...

I have read 2 reports of people using a Creative, and an Asus and still having the same problem as well though.. Although Whos to say its not something different on their end as a lot more people have said buying a card/disabling the realtek has fixed their issue 100%.

Basically dont go crazy on redownloading/installing.... Just make sure you have clean installs on all your latest drivers and you have no OC stability/heat problems and youre good to go. (sort of)

EDIT #3:

What pisses me off too is the game runs absolutely flawless at ultra with post AA at high 60 FPS min/max/avg with vysnc on. Apart from the green flashes it runs like butter.. Then it all comes crashing down with the hard locks..

Last edited:
Yea i have an asus xonar sound card if that makes any difference, only thing why im sort of iffy if its the game or not is because it has happened to be just browsing videos sometimes, at that time i thought it was just flash player as it never crashed in any other game before.

Back