PC/Laptop repair tool kit

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
'm posting in here because i know alot of techs and people that would know post in here, I am looking for a nice little PC repair tool kit, something nice and simple but would have everything i need, mainly all the correct heads and sizes to take apart a PC and laptops.

I was looking on newegg and this looks great for $16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899261003 has some great reviews, any other kits i should look at, Just looking to take apart laptops and stuff like that.

Doesn't look like that would help with notebooks but so much. Personaly I would get a little tool bag and make your own set. I mean you don't need the wire strippers or chip puller that has and a few smaller screw drivers would do better then that set it has.

Besides a little tool bag will have room for things like a multimeter(important), few disks, adapters, etc. You also can throw in better tools.

Mind you the tool bag will prob be 10 to 25 bucks by itself but it would be better in the long run.

Don't need much for PCs...
A few different philips head sizes, including some good small long thin philips sets for laptops.
Torx set
Star set if you work on some older IBMs, as well as flathead for some old IBMs too.

There's only about 3-4 tools I regularly use, mostly 1x torx and 3x different philips.

Alcohol pads for cleaning CPUs and heat sinks as well as q-tips for cleaning the old thermal stuff from edges.
Thermal grease syringe for reapplying

That's about it, 95% of the other stuff you see in those kits you'll never pick up and use again.

I've bought many of those all-in-one tool kits over the years. Never been impressed. They're normally a bunch of generic and/or cheap looking tools. I just end up throwing them away and putting my own collection of tools in there. Sears/Home Depot have some smaller "Precision" tools that work great for notebooks and other small electronics.

If I'm working on desktops or notebooks, you really don't need more than 4-5 tools, depending on the system. You know, some throw in a torx or hex screw just for fun. And that even includes a cheap $20 electric screw driver with a torque setting.

One thing I forgot to mention that no one elce has are shroud separators for notebooks. Pretty much a plastic wedge for prying stuff apart. HP/Compaqs version use to be like 12 bucks shipped, apples was like 20 some and I think toshiba wanted 40. A guitar pick does a great job at this. Pretty much they are used for seperating the palm rest from the base on some notebooks and seperating the bezel from the lid on an lcd screen of a notebook. You really want something for this. I have a few of the hp ones sitting around from when I was a notebook tech. The guitar pick works well for others I know though(someone on the forums here mentioned that idea a while ago).

Sears/Home Depot have some smaller "Precision" tools that work great for notebooks and other small electronics. .

That's what I have for laptops..
screwdriver_set_small.jpg

I would start out with a basic tool kit and add tools to it when you go along as I did when I bought one from a local Radioshack. You can add things like a anti-static wrist strap, Artic Silver 5, a small plastic flathead screwdriver for prying apart small devices, a good multimeter or replace some parts of the toolkit such as the soldering iron.

Don't forget to keep a small stock of replacement or tempory parts whether it be a video card, CPU (something cheap like a Celeron), or RAM and an assortment of connectors, screws and cables. Have a few software discs (not just one, a few) like Knoppix, UBCD, and BartPE for diagnosis and recovery.

You might also want to look for an eyeglass repair kit as an amendment to your PC repair kit for those really tiny repairs (anything with laptops, small electronic devices).

A small zip-loc bag with spare screws comes in handy. Dropping screws on the floor or in the PC is a nightmare and takes so much time. I bought a kit that came with a 3 wire retracting grabber that picks these up. Also, a socket drive saves time when driving the case screws in.

I bought most of my tools separately. The kits will give you some stuff you need an a bunch of stuff you don't and a lot of it will be low quality as mentioned above.

I went to sears and bought size 0 philips, T7, T8, T9 Torx. I also carry a compaq screw driver with several bits in the handle. Needle nose pliers and small flat head for prying things apart.

I also carry a USB to IDE/SATA adapter. Also a power supply tester similar to this one.

A paperclip for opening stubborn optical drives.

i posted a very similar thread a few months back and was told to make my own which i did.

ideal punch tool, ideal crimper, paladin cat5 and rg stripper (awesome tool), some cutters, some screw drivers, probe/toner, ideal cable testers, misc ends (phone, cat5, wall inserts (all leviton), yada yada.

all i need is a better tool bag. any recomendations guy on tool bags? i currently use like a craftmas doctors bag but pain in the ass to find stuff.

all i need is a better tool bag. any recomendations guy on tool bags? i currently use like a craftmas doctors bag but pain in the ass to find stuff.

I separate them. Usually don't need "all your tools" when onsite, more often it's a specific thing you need tools for..and I don't prefer carrying around one massive heavy bag. So I separate....small toolbox with tools for working on a PC (usually just 3-4 tools), my network toolbag (various patch cords, ends to terminate on, etc), Rest of stuff stays in one huge box in the back of the Jeep. Misc supplies. Spare various cables, a couple of spare CDROMs, IDE and SATA cables, spare keyboards, spare mice, cable modem, DSL modem, couple of spare routers, couple of spare small switches, spare hard drive or two, craploads of various RAM.

I used to try to have every tool and spare part imaginable in the back of the Jeep..but eventually it just gets to be too much. And realistically you rarely need 99% of what you end up stockpiling back there. Bigger computer emergencies I end up taking back to the office anyways to work on 'em when I get time.

I am looking for plastic (not metal I have got all types) tools (maty be we can call them blades and tweezers) that remove laptop's plastic parts without scratch them

some thing similar to below

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360085301363&indexURL=

I could not find out the proper name for such tools to search for them

The old part name for hps is 107823-001. They call it a shroud gauge. Newer part number is 119070-001. Not sure if it is the current one though. You can order them direct from hp. It is a wedge.

I found a nice toolbag at Home Depot, made by Workforce. It's open with a handle at the top and has pockets on the outside and a large inside compartment. I can fit all my tools in it without a problem. I do mostly cabling/phone work so I have lots of tools...
IMG_1286.jpg

I have to say, the best tools for computer repairs are just basic screwdrivers. I found a nice 6 in 1 mini torx screwdriver at Home Depot. I also find the 2 in 1 small screwdrivers most hardware stores sell to be handy. Now, if you are doing network stuff and cabling, I would go for Ideal or Harris/Fluke tools. I use almost all Klein screwdrivers and pliers but that's personal preference. Of course I'm also a fan of anything Craftsman.

Back