PC is very slow!!

beachnut

Weaksauce
Not sure if this is the correct forum but my PC seems to be alot slower than it used to be. What can I do to speed it up? How many process should I have running? etc...:confused:

Um.. ok.

Try this. Go back, edit your post and give us the details that we need to help you. System spec's would be a start. What OS are you using, how many processes do you have running, what type of a/v software do you have? You know... things like that would help;)

Am I really seeing that you recommend disabling the Workstation service?
I beg / plead that any links be removed that advise disabling services. If they aren't used, they aren't taking up any resources. Read the sticky! Don't disable services!

Am I really seeing that you recommend disabling the Workstation service?
When you don't have your PC in a domain (as most home users don't) you don't need it (Along with a good hunk of the rest of the services I listed).

I beg / plead that any links be removed that advise disabling services. If they aren't used, they aren't taking up any resources. Read the sticky! Don't disable services!

So you are trying to tell me the indexing service (among others) isn't used if enabled???

So you are trying to tell me the indexing service (among others) isn't used if enabled???
If we really must drag this fiasco back up again...
Read the sticky on disabling services. When QuackViper was in full bloom, we saw so many threads of people having odd and unexplained errors. The very first question was...did you recently disable any services. Just about everytime the reply was, yes they did, because of his site, or because one of the psuedo-1337 friends told them to.

You aren't freeing up any resources, especially not anything measurable. I know many people have this insane desire to tweak and tinker, but sometimes it goes too far. You aren't going to gain anything, so why even both mucking with the system. There comes a point in time when all the tweaking has been done, and it's time to just use the computer for real purposes.

You aren't freeing up any resources, especially not anything measurable
I beg to differ.

I'm not forcing anyone to do it, and I didn't even recommend it to the poster here.

You are entitled to your own opinions, but I have seen a computer increase as much as 10% (sometimes more, just depends) by disabling the stuff in that list.

There comes a point in time when all the tweaking has been done, and it's time to just use the computer for real purposes.

YOU CANNOT DENY THE LOGIC!!! hehehe Yeah, I know, I need a life, but it's just nice to know someone actually gets it besides me. :)

I'm not forcing anyone to do it, and I didn't even recommend it to the poster here.
You recommended they read your guide, which recommends disabling the services.
You are entitled to your own opinions, but I have seen a computer increase as much as 10% (sometimes more, just depends) by disabling the stuff in that list.
See, that's the thing....it's not my opinion. Let's assume a hypothetical computer has 1 GB of memory, running XP Pro SP2. If disabling services frees up maybe one or two MB of memory...what will that do? Honestly? Given your track record, especially in the drive imaging thread, I can tell you're not some ignorant noob. That being said, you started debating every point in that thread, only to turn around on each on of them and go with common accepted beliefs. For this thread, why not just save time and stop the needless debating. It's been known for quite some time now that disabling services is a complete waste of time and effort. There has been enough testing, enough debating, and enough discussing over the past two years over this to put it to bed. It's been there for quite some time, and there's no need to resurrect it. Save your time, leave your services alone. As long as you're running SP2, you have the security holes shut regarding disabling services (ex: Messenger Service). Leave them alone and focus on some worthwhile areas of the PC. Or, better yet, play some games, edit some video or pictures, etc.

YOU CANNOT DENY THE LOGIC!!! hehehe Yeah, I know, I need a life, but it's just nice to know someone actually gets it besides me. :)

Just when you think a topic had been debated enough, and everyone was in agreement....

Anyway, doesn't anyone enjoy their computers anymore, rather then spend their time on worthless tweaks or baseless benchmarks?

You recommended they read your guide, which recommends disabling the services.
For guidelines :) Again, unless this person is in a domain environment- it won't hurt anything.
And I have personally seen a noticeable increase in system speed by running through that list and disabling all that stuff which is not needed. Works for me= I post about it.
Doesn't work for you= I still post about it.
I don't run a democratic website, lol.

If disabled, they can always be re-enabled. It isn't like a permanant hack which cannot be undone.

For the OP: skip it then, if it makes you happy. Otherwise run some good anti-virus/spyware applications and clean that puppy up.

If disabled, they can always be re-enabled. It isn't like a permanant hack which cannot be undone.

It can be undone, but it offers no upside, so again, why bother? Why bother sticking a red R on your car, if it offers no horsepower upgrade? These "tweaks" often result in odd errors that require some major surgery to repair, if not a re-install. Just because a tweak makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside, doesn't mean it's worth anything. Based on your posts, and the number of people who have to correct them, you aren't building any credibility. People come here for help and advice. If they are only given incorrect information in return, at what point to we rename this place the GeekSquad Forum?

While I can't comment on possible performance benefits of disabling any particular service, it might be wise to disable services like the telnet server, if you aren't using it. I'm a little surprised that that it's being run by default (if it even is), but it seems like a potential security hole. You might be surprised how many bots will try and brute force their way into your computer through services like these.

If it was working faster before and is slower now then questions like what hardware you have really don't matter. You could be running a 286 and it won't have an implication. Something was installed between when it used to work at your normal speed and now when it is slower. Did you install a new program? Did some spyware get on your machine? I'd download spybot and make sure you don't have spyware on there. Either way, something got on there to slow it down.

Back