PC interfering with IPTV while off/sleeping

bpizzle1

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been trying to figure out wtf is going on for a few weeks now. Ever since I built my 2700x PC, whenever it is powered down or goes to sleep, my AT&T Uverse tv service gets very laggy and pixelated. The moment I turn the PC back on, everything is fine.

My network is setup like this:

ATT Gateway -> gigabit switch -> all wired rooms (PC and TV box are connected at this point in separate rooms)

Is there something obvious I'm missing here? Everything was hooked up the same way with my previous PC, and we never had a single problem. I've resorted just to keeping the PC on at all times as a workaround for now.

Whenever you think you've heard them all.......

My first guess would be to dig into the motherboard settings, and turn off any W.O.L. or similar power wake settings.....see what happens. Also try it with the computer off and the power cord unplugged (after which press the power button to de-energize the motherboard)......see what happens.

I am going to assume with the power cord unplugged and the motherboard de-energized the problem doesn't show up.......but I'll wait and see.

Whenever you think you've heard them all

I know, right? I tried everything I could think of prior to realizing it was the new computer. It just didn't even register as a possible issue in my mind until I had exhausted every other piece of equipment on my network that a wire touches. I've heard of a PC slowing a network down while running, but off/sleeping is an odd one for me.

I'll go ahead and turn all that stuff off when I get home today. Googling the issue, I only managed to find one mention of a similar problem. Apparently, his ASUS board had a setting for "10 Mbs First" under a WOL and Shutdown Link Speed adapter setting that seemed to be limiting his entire network speed. I'll have to look for that as well.

Link to the one other person on earth with a similar issue:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/i...on-internet-slow-60mbps-10mbps-computers.html

Do the activity lights on the switch and gateway show any excessive activity when the MB is resting? If location and wire lengths permit, might bypass the switch and plug directly into the AT&T unit. If yours is like mine, it has four LAN ports. That would eliminate any bizarre interaction between the switch and new MB.

If you have a 2nd NIC, add it to the PC and see if the Twilight Zone behavior happens on the 2nd one.

Do the activity lights on the switch and gateway show any excessive activity when the MB is resting? If location and wire lengths permit, might bypass the switch and plug directly into the AT&T unit. If yours is like mine, it has four LAN ports. That would eliminate any bizarre interaction between the switch and new MB.

If you have a 2nd NIC, add it to the PC and see if the Twilight Zone behavior happens on the 2nd one.

Only thing I've noticed is the light on the switch port turning yellow/orange when it goes to sleep, so it's obviously getting reduced down to 10mbs at that point. I really don't see how that should affect anything else on the network though.

What switch are you using? If it's a junk switch it could be bringing everything down to 10 meg to match the PC when powered off (WOL defaults to 10meg usually).

What switch are you using? If it's a junk switch it could be bringing everything down to 10 meg to match the PC when powered off (WOL defaults to 10meg usually).

I've tried 2 different switches (don't remember which models atm) and get the same result. Everything is also hooked up the same way as it was before when I had no issues at all. I feel like it's definitely something on my PC's end.

Since you have the 2nd switch, put it between the prime switch and the PC. If the PC is somehow fubaring the switch it is connected to, hopefully it won't spread to prime switch. The switches should protect other ports from bad juju happening on one port but the low cost consumer switches probably cut a few design corners.

Disclaimer: I am an AT&T employee and the statement below is in no way directly or indirectly endorsed by AT&T and is in whole my opinion.

Turn off WOL on your computer.

AT&T field practice is to separate all IPTV traffic onto a separate switch if you aren’t using a switch that supports QOS. Never mix IPTV and Internet devices on the same switch unless the switch clearly supports QOS.

IMHO Best practice is to use your own router for all your internet devices with the RG in IP-Passthru. The IPTV devices get plugged right into the router or to a dedicated switch running directly off the RG. This completely separates all internet traffic from the IPTV traffic.

The RG’s are famous for leaking multicast IPTV traffic to ports with no IPTV clients causing network issues. I’ve seen many IPTV problems and internet speed problems solved by completely separating the two. The problems always arise when there is a 3rd party switch in the mix.

Another reason to use your own router and DNS? Read the TOS and prepare to be amazed.

Disclaimer: I am an AT&T employee and the above statement is in no way directly or indirectly endorsed by AT&T and is in whole my opinion.

That being said I do this every day.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am an AT&T employee and the statement below is in no way directly or indirectly endorsed by AT&T and is in whole my opinion.

Turn off WOL on your computer.

AT&T field practice is to separate all IPTV traffic onto a separate switch if you aren’t using a switch that supports QOS. Never mix IPTV and Internet devices on the same switch unless the switch clearly supports QOS.

IMHO Best practice is to use your own router for all your internet devices with the RG in IP-Passthru. The IPTV devices get plugged right into the router or to a dedicated switch running directly off the RG. This completely separates all internet traffic from the IPTV traffic.

The RG’s are famous for leaking multicast IPTV traffic to ports with no IPTV clients causing network issues. I’ve seen many IPTV problems and internet speed problems solved by completely separating the two. The problems always arise when there is a 3rd party switch in the mix.

Another reason to use your own router and DNS? Read the TOS and prepare to be amazed.

Disclaimer: I am an AT&T employee and the above statement is in no way directly or indirectly endorsed by AT&T and is in whole my opinion.

That being said I do this every day.

Interesting, I use my own router in bridge mode for wifi since I find the RG is terrible in that regard. The switch I left hooked up is one AT&T actually installed and left with me. If I set the RG to pass through (I think my model calls it DMZ+ or something), can I leave the IPTV lines plugged into the RG, and leave everything else going through the router for DHCP?

Interesting, I use my own router in bridge mode for wifi since I find the RG is terrible in that regard. The switch I left hooked up is one AT&T actually installed and left with me. If I set the RG to pass through (I think my model calls it DMZ+ or something), can I leave the IPTV lines plugged into the RG, and leave everything else going through the router for DHCP?

First turn off bridge mode on your personal router and use it in router mode. The WAN will pick up an address via DHCP, at this point it will be a private IP address. Make sure that your personal router’s private address pool is something other than 192.168.1.xxx. For example, use 192.168.0.xxx.

At this point you should be able to surf the Internet but you will have double NAT. To fix that set the rg in passthru mode.

Yes, if you set the RG to passthru (Or DMZ+ with IP Passthru depending on the model) you leave the lines going to the IPTV boxes plugged directly into the RG. All other devices should be connected through your personal router.

Last edited:
Back