p.i.m.p

Gawd
i got a

Asus M2N-X
AMD 5200+ X2 64-bit
2x2gig corsair dual channel
80 gig seagate
1 TB drive for back-up

everytime i start my PC it works for 2-5-10 minutes then it just reboots and i can't boot for 5-10 mins.

i'm sensing a mobo problem..

ideas please ?

?

CPU might be overheating. Check the temperature in the BIOS menu for a bit, had it happen once when I had the stock intel fan on my C2D a while back. If the retention "clips" aren't fully into their sockets and the heatsink is resting uneven, then that shit'll overheat and shut itself down.

Yeah, I agree. This sounds like a temperature problem. Are you running a stock HSF?

PSU is 550W with 32A on the 12V rail for my 8800GTS
i'll check the retention clips on the CPU and will check the temps once i reconnect the PC, i did have the PC fall to the ground from 2.5 feet it did crack my case a bit and it twisted it alittle but i managed to catch it so it didnt hit the floor very hard..
yeah, its a stock HSF

Last edited:
i've just removed everything from the PC and the HSF was perfectly secured, but the arctic 5 paste was very dry, the mobo has 4 capacitors by the CPU and when i wiggle them 2 of em are making clicking noises (maybe contacts went loose on the top side?) cause theyre solid welded on the bottom, no movment. might it be the HD as well? the PC was running when it fell but like i said it loads XP and reboots after few mins. i did notice 50C temps in the BIOS and yeah that is to high. so for now i'll just reasemble with new arctic silver 5 and see what happens.

you may have snapped the "legs" on the caps, not sure that it would even boot without contact there(im not up and into that stuff hugely), if it was the HD, you would be able to reboot soon after i would think

i've just reaplied new arctic silver and reasembled the PC and about to turn it on, i'll check the temps and see what happens. if fail then mobo for sure...

be back in a few

i'm back on the broken PC, so far it's running after new arctic silver 5 but before starting XP i hit the BIOS and the TEMP hit 52C CPU.

i've just watched Apples HD movie trailer of Green Zone and it didn't crash (YET)

so far so good

Capacitors will shift around a little bit when you push them depending on the length of the legs. The computer wouldn't even turn on though, let alone boot if 4 caps weren't connected. It definitely sounds like an overheating problem to me. But with the BSOD crashes, I'm not sure. Try and figure out what the error listed on the BSOD is.

the latest error was

NTFS.SYS Ba5339EB@BA533300,DATESTAMP-45CC56q7

and the first was

STOP 0x00000050
0xD47D89F8, 0x00000001, 0x805BF088,0x00000000
beginning dump of physical memory.

other was almost same but beginning was 0x00000019 rest the same.

Last edited:
Well, from what I can find on the interwebs...that error points to your video driver. I don't know if what I'm finding is correct, so you may wanna look around for yourself. Wouldn't hurt to reinstall your video driver though. At least it would eliminate the theory I found.

Also found a thread on a support forum that stated it could be bad RAM. Maybe test with some different RAM?

from what i've noticed, the vid card is fine, and with the PC being so unstable i dont think i could anyways :(

Try testing the memory with Memtest86 and see if that gives errors. Test each stick individually (maybe an hour or two in the program). By anychance can you check your video cards temperature readings at all? Does the fan run loudly? Also, check your HDD for problems. Try this: http://www.piriform.com/speccy as well.

Back