PC GPU vs PS3 GPU

Scooby22B

Limp Gawd
Just curious if anyone knows what the PS3 GPU is equal to? i read a while back in a forum that the PS3 GPU was equal to two Nvidia 7800 GTX on SLI..and that the PS3 GPU has shader model 3.0 is that true or is it more powerful then that?

The PS3 GPU is basically a 7900GTX that's crippled with a 128 bit memory bus. Two 7900GTXs in SLI speed? Not even close.

I think the ps3 gpu is equal to the 7800gtx. Its slower clocked then a 7900gtx.

nVidia's PC cards from the GeForce 6 and upwards already supported Shader Model 3.0.

the PS3 isnt anything to be wowed about then from what i see..because the Xbox360 is sporting the first Generation Dx10 graphic engine by ATI...because one dude here said that the PS3 gpu power is close to two 6800 Ultra on sli..and that sucks for a new Gen. system

who cares really....consoles graphics suckkkk. you have to cripple texture quality and AA just to play the damn game.

who cares really....consoles graphics suckkkk. you have to cripple texture quality and AA just to play the damn game.

Not unless you spend 2 grand for a HDTV. There are a few console games that have pretty good graphics.

The PS3's CPU is great and capable of many things. The GPU is old technology and will bottleneck the crap out of the system.

not a new new type no, like with supposedly hdmi yes and ps3 media versions yeah

Aren't they releasing a new version of the 360? Probably not DX10 though huh.

I don't think they could get away with making a revision that would allow the system's games to look better than previous revisions. Backwards compatibility upgrades, I/O ports for display, and parts shrinking/cooling are all fair game though.

let's put it like this. Crytek decided not to make Crysis for any consoles because they were too weak. Which is more powerful? Console GPU or PC GPU?

which one will output more impressive looking games considering open box to close box at the performance given?:p

i believe console gpu sucks....i have GRAW(Ghost Recon Advance warfighter) for PC, and im running an ATI Radeon x850xt 256MB GDDR3 PCI-e Video card, and my cousin has the same game for his Xbox360 and damn my version of the game looks pretty damn sexy if not, BETTER looking then the xbox360 version....so by that alone i believe console graphics on xbox360/PS3 cant stack up with todays DX9 cards...so i think when ATI brings out there DX10 cards....hmmmm say bye bye to Consoles

when i saw the PS3's graphics at the store, i personally thought they sucked compared to computer graphics.....i think a 7900GTX looks better than a PS3...no way it compares to a 7900GTX...maybe a 6800GT, but even that's pushing.
DOn't flame me or shit, this is just my personaly oppinion

zero comparison. 8800gtx is lightyears beyond the PS3. Now, the CPU in a ps3 is pretty damned good, and may hold it's own with C2D's

ya its suppose to be better than 6800ultra's in sli. yet that is pretty good but nothing to a 7900gtx, but it might be faster than a 7900gt by a slight gain.

when i saw the PS3's graphics at the store, i personally thought they sucked compared to computer graphics.....i think a 7900GTX looks better than a PS3...no way it compares to a 7900GTX...maybe a 6800GT, but even that's pushing.
DOn't flame me or shit, this is just my personaly oppinion

i totally agree that the ps3 suckss. i went to the store and played a motorstorm demo and well i just wasnt impressed at all. i was more impressed with the quality of flatout 2 on the pc with all settings maxed then it.

i believe console gpu sucks....i have GRAW(Ghost Recon Advance warfighter) for PC, and im running an ATI Radeon x850xt 256MB GDDR3 PCI-e Video card, and my cousin has the same game for his Xbox360 and damn my version of the game looks pretty damn sexy if not, BETTER looking then the xbox360 version....so by that alone i believe console graphics on xbox360/PS3 cant stack up with todays DX9 cards...so i think when ATI brings out there DX10 cards....hmmmm say bye bye to Consoles

I don't know man, you play that on an HDTV? Pretty as hell and doesn't run like crap compared to GRAW on the PC. I couldn't get my X1900XT to play that game well and look as good as the 360. And Gears of War was pretty damn sweet too. I enjoy both pretty equally, console games have their place and PC games do too.

that's completely ridiculous. those of you that are saying the ps3 doesn't have impressive graphics must be blind or just extremely stubborn. the ps3 graphical fidelity is INCREDIBLE for a closedbox system. i hate the playstation 3, i really do, but i'm not gonna go and say the graphics it is capable of are poor because that would be a lie.

You also need to remember that game designers know exactly what GPU they are designing the game for, and make it optimized on the PS3 so it runs really well. Unlike the PC where you could have nearly hundreds of different variables.

that's completely ridiculous. those of you that are saying the ps3 doesn't have impressive graphics must be blind or just extremely stubborn. the ps3 graphical fidelity is INCREDIBLE for a closedbox system. i hate the playstation 3, i really do, but i'm not gonna go and say the graphics it is capable of are poor because that would be a lie.

im not saying the PS3 graphics sucks...they do look good, but im saying that it cant compete again todays PC Graphics cards...PC gpu have more potential and are alot faster, but there aint many games out there to show off what PC gpus are capable of...consoles always show off what there gpu are capable of..and thats why PS3 looks sweet, just wait until DX10 games...u gonna think PS3 looks wack next to DX10 games

The PS3 is running on a Geforce 7 engine... not the G6 engine like most pepole said ..check it out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

"The Graphics Processing Unit is based on the NVIDIA G70 (previously known as NV47) architecture, which focuses on maximizing per-pixel computation in favor of raw pixel output. The GPU will make use of 256-MB GDDR3 VRAM clocked at 700 MHz. The GPU has access to the XDR main memory as well." .............(not much of a powerhouse when my gpu is close to that and im only running an ATI Radeon X850XT 256MB GDDR3 at an effective 1080MHz)

i think the rig in your sig would make a PS3 look like NES.

PS3<PC!

I'm gonna go ahead and have to agree with everyone on that the PS3 is not capable of the graphics that a PC can put out. Don't get me wrong, the PS3 does have some good graphics, but you have to keep in mind the games you see on the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are only as good as the game developers that make them. You can't judge a whole console based off a few crappy looking games that came out right at the launch of the console. You can be sure that better games will come and be comparable to PC graphics once good game developers start making the good games and fully utilizing the hardware in the console. Take the Xbox 360 for example. The cpu in the xbox 360 has 3 cores. The games will start to be awesome once game developers start multi-threading the games to using all 3 cores. Once that happens, the games will be able to use the full potential of the console. Im not so sure about the PS3, but i think the xbox 360 is just blooming and personally think the 360 is better thant the PS3. Both consoles I think won't be able to match the PC. I do like gaming on the 360, but enjoy gaming on the pc the most.

We all know Xbox 360 blows PS3 GPU out the water.. I'm know hearing CELL cpu isn't so great as well... looking at PS3 games so far I would have to agree.

THERE IS NO API FOR CONSOLES, there is no DX10 or 9 or SM3.0. Games are programmed just for card so that's not needed, APIs allow one game to run on different cards. That's how the Gamecube was able to pull off things like HDR even though it was designed in 2000. Even if DX11 comes out before the PS3 dies, as long as the performance is there, the effects can be done.

we know that the PS3 is running on a Geforce 7 graphic engine, first geneneration version G7 engine that is...now if the Xbox360 GPU is better, then on what engine is it running on? because i read that the xbox360 is running on the first gen version of the R600 chip coming out by ATI. but the xbox360 is NOT running on a DX10 chip either. i also read that knowing that the 360 is running the first Gen version of the R600 chip the PC version R600 will be more powerful and more advance, meaning any game that would come out for the 360 would be capable of running on a PC with the R600 chip..and would look MUCH better the the 360 version graphic engine..........PS: for those that have no idea what the R600 Radeon chip is about....well the R600 is the next Gen card by ATI running on a DX10 engine and also having shader model 4.0...and it is said to be faster and more powerful then Nvidias Geforce 8800GTX series

Man, if I was a mod...

Everyone just needs to shut up mmmkay? There've been lots of these threads before, and it all comes down to a cesspool of idiots screaming for alliance towards one competing side...

It's fine to have an opinion about things, but flaming a certain solution without any proof or hard logic is just a waste of everyone's time.

I think this entire argument is silly. Here's why... these consoles run at 1280x720 (well.. technically 1920x1080 for ps3, but most aren't 1080p)... they don't need tremendous pixel pushing power that would be similar to a 8800gtx SLI setup that is used to play at 2560x1600. They need sufficient power to run at 1280x720. It's kind of like owning a ferrari but only being able to drive under the speed limit.. why have what you don't need?

The PC's graphics typically in my opinion are not as "beautiful" as the consoles, but i bet any money if games on the PC were targetted for 1280x720 rather than 1920x1200 etc. the PC graphics levels would go up a lot. But they can't afford to put the extra horsepower towards HDR or higher poly models because PC users want "crisp" images.. they want to run at their monitors native res with anti-aliasing.. and that means lower overall graphics levels of everything else to be able to accommodate all the "not-so-awesome" PC's out there.

I run a 360, ps3, and a 8800gtx sli setup and they all have their strengths and weaknesses. Fact is, they all have a place really

motorstorm looks better than any racing game on pc

really take a look

but crysis looks amazing.

look at some ps2 or xbox games at then judge

Advantage of console graphics is that every game can be developed to make maximum use of the resources available to it. Imagine if every PC game where developed to maximize a 8800GTX, it would be amazing, basically everything would look like an Nvidia or ATi tech demo. Console developers can do that and know the game will still run at 25 frames. PC devs have to keep people with old hardware happy and buying, enthusiasts are just too small of a percentage of the market.

The PS3's GPU, the nVidia RSX is basically a toned down 7800. So think of somewhere between 7600 and 7800. As much as I hate PlayStation and every other Sony product I can think of, this GPU is not bad at all for a console. Yes, it doesn't really compare to Xbox 360's toned down R600, but it's still pretty good. Look at what the original Xbox did with a toned down Geforce 3. Could you imagine playing Halo 2 on a PC with a GeForce 2 Ultra or GeForce 3 TI200?

As for DirectX on Xbox 360; yes it technically DOES use DirectX. It's not DX10, but it's very close to it. It's DirectX 9.0 with SOME DirectX 10 features. Microsoft uses DirectX for the console's development tools because it is easy to implement and it's something developers were already used to. Furthermore, as part of their XNA strategy, they wanted a strong link for easy ports between PC and Xbox.

Not the PS3 or the Xbox360 can compete with todays PC Graphic cards but i think the Xbox360 can give PS3 a run for its money in graphics. i read the Feb. issue of Maximum PC magazine and they stated that nvidia made the NV40 6 series card for the new PS3, so the PS3 is equal to 2 SLi 6800 GT cards..and the Xbox360 is running an ATI's R500 series x1800xt card which that alone can take out 2 6800...so i believe the Xbox360 graphics are better and capable of more then the PS3 GPU....

Back