PC General us speaker setup

Spun Ducky

Gawd
So I am sick of my old logitech 5.1 system that I have had well over a decade. I have been around some nice systems but I feel it is time to finally upgrade the PC since this system won't die.

I took a look at Kyle's thread with the audio setup he put together and I want to do something similar. I am torn between a few part choices and I have spent way too many hours on the reddit budgetaudiophile. I figured I would let [H] guide me for the final stretch.

I am looking at the Polk Audio S15 or Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers. Then a Dayton Audio SUB-1000 for the subwoofer. I would like some feedback on the bookshelf speakers and the final step is the amp I have no idea what would be a well priced decent one that can combine those components.

I would like to keep the price in the 200-300 range and this system would be connected to an Intel NUC8i5BEH.

I am helpful??

NHT SuperOne 2.1 speakers ea $103~
https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperOne...&keywords=NHT+Super+one&psc=1#customerReviews

Topping MX3 dac /amp $136~
https://www.amazon.com/Topping-MX3-...id=1549093289&sr=8-2&keywords=dac+amp+topping

add sub later if you feel the need..

alternately look around your area for used speakers..
I have these Yamah NS-344 10" 3ways I got for $50 and these $40 JBL L1's 6.5" 2way speakers.. I've found locally over the years..
tan77es_ns344_2.jpg

also that massive sony ES amp/pre ..etc stack was a local score for $75 (best audio score by me evar) if you have a bit of room .. you can find some amazing used gear for little money sometimes.

here is also a 100WPC kenwood receiver I have $20
skx_V106R.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Spend the bulk of your $$ on the speakers. You can get a nice used receiver or integrated amp for under $100 on eBay or Craig's List.

Spend the bulk of your $$ on the speakers. You can get a nice used receiver or integrated amp for under $100 on eBay or Craig's List.
I did just that. I checked sales and what gift cards I had at hand. I went with jbl 230 bookshelf speakers and a Dayton sub 1000 then a smsl amp. The biggest goal was to make things repairable and upgradeable. I went a little over budget but the upgrades were worth it I think.

I did just that. I checked sales and what gift cards I had at hand. I went with jbl 230 bookshelf speakers and a Dayton sub 1000 then a smsl amp. The biggest goal was to make things repairable and upgradeable. I went a little over budget but the upgrades were worth it I think.
How will you connect your sub to the SMSL?

High level pass through. So PC to amp using rca. Amp to sub high level input and sub to speakers using the speakers out on sub. I am pretty sure this will work or a 3.5mm splitter from PC to sub and amp.

High level pass through. So PC to amp using rca. Amp to sub high level input and sub to speakers using the speakers out on sub. I am pretty sure this will work or a 3.5mm splitter from PC to sub and amp.
Coo! That's how my PC audio system is set up. I didn't think it would work with the SMSL.

Coo! That's how my PC audio system is set up. I didn't think it would work with the SMSL.
So finally got the sub today and can confirm the pc->3.5mm->rca->amp->speaker wire->sub high level input->out sub high level output->speaker wire-> JBL studio 230s. This setup works great and damn is it loud. I can turn the amp to about mid volume and my ears are ringing and walls shaking. My home office is very small but still. I keep the volume very low and it is beautiful sounding overall.

Back