• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC Gaming on HDTV

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 3, 2007
Messages
489
Hello everyone,

I'm very new to PC gaming and I'm going to build my first PC soon with the intention of being able to play FFXIV with high settings that will hopefully give much better results than what the game will be like on the PS3.

I've got 2 displays:
- HP 22" 1680 x 1050 average LCD that I use for browsing
- Pioneer 5020FD 50" 1080p plasma that's used for my console setup

Since I'm interested in using my HT setup and the much better pioneer display for playing the game, would be great if you guys could clear a few things for me:

1- Are there any negatives to playing the game on a large HDTV display instead of a display that's designed for PC gaming? other than not being able to play on resolutions higher than 1080p, playing on 1080p with max settings seems demanding enough hardware wise!

2- This might sound stupid, but just to be sure, does the size of the display have any effect on hardware requirements (i.e effect the fps speed)? or is it just the resolution of the display

3- Other than having a graphic card with HDMI port that I can connect to my AV receiver, are there any other requirements to use the HDTV as my display for gaming? gotta check about sound requirements as well but this doesn't belong in this sub forum, please share your thoughts though if you have an idea about that.


Any help would be appreciated.
 
1. Many modern day LCD TVs have a "gaming mode" or a "PC mode" those modes shut off a lot of the internal processing that causes input latency (which is the bane of all LCD TVs for gaming). Simply put it in said mode and you'll be gaming just fine , however different brands have different amounts of latency. I would do some research under the avsforum.com and check out the LCD section.

2.No the size does not , the pixel count is the same per resolution. The bigger the TV the larger the pixels are pretty much , the resolution doesn't change.

3.Not really just use a HDMI connection , get a low input latency TV , make sure you have the latest video card drivers and thats it. Just remember a big ass TV will require you to sit farther back otherwise you'll have neck strain in an hour or so. I use to PC game on my 40 inch Samsung A650 and it was pretty much bliss. It was a total blast doing raids in WoW and being able to to shrink my UI to take advantage of the extra space.
 
Thanks a lot for replying, that's pretty much all I needed to know =)

1. Many modern day LCD TVs have a "gaming mode" or a "PC mode" those modes shut off a lot of the internal processing that causes input latency (which is the bane of all LCD TVs for gaming). Simply put it in said mode and you'll be gaming just fine , however different brands have different amounts of latency. I would do some research under the avsforum.com and check out the LCD section.

I'm a pretty hardcore SFIV player on the PS3, the Kuro's input lag while in game mode + game pref on seems very minimal even to such a sensitive 2D fighting game where single frames could drop your combos, so I'm pretty sure that won't be an issue from the display's side with PC gaming.
 
Back
Top