PC gaming lag on a 40in TV, similar resolution

firegun9

n00b
[Edit] Problem solved. See the 7th post below.

Hi guys,

I bought a 40in Sony TV for watching TV and my desktop monitor.
It's model is KDL40s5100.

The problem is I found that gaming is more lagging on this one compared to my old 22in Samsung monitor, although the resolution is similar.

On my old 16:10 monitor, the resolution was 1680x1050.
On my new 16:9 TV, the resolution is 1600x900.
The game I tested is team fortress 2.
In theory, the game should run smoother on TV because there are fewer pixels for it.
And the lagging is not happening like the graphics card is slow, it's like some other program is writing and reading the hard drive.

This is really bugging me. Since I am a computer science guy, if I heard sb telling me this, I'd be thinking he must doesn't know computers very much. But actually this is what happening on me.

First I thought it might be a signal delay, so I switched the DVI-HDMI cable to a VGA cable. Unfortunately it's still lagging.
Is it possible that it is lag on both screens, just on a smaller monitors, it's more difficult to notice?

Last edited:
The lag is from your TV if you're talking about same FPS but less responsiveness. Nothing you can do about it, it means your TV onboard chip isn't up to the task.

First i need to make sure i understand your circumstances correctly:

1) The frame rate is smooth, it isn't choppy. It doesn't slow down dramatically in intense firefights
2) there is no stuttering. The game doesn't stutter at certain locations
3) there is a lag between the second you move your mouse and when the screen responds to the movement

Does it do the same thing in windows when you just move the mouse around normally?

If so, i would definitly say its signal delay of your tv. There are two things you should do:

a) Make sure you are running native resolution, i have seen monitors and tv's induce noticable delay running in anything other than native

b) Turn off any post processing ffeatures in the tv. Go through the menus and turn off any color enhancements, motion enhancements, etc. Finally, if one of the options says "turn on game mode" turn it on.

You bought a TV with high input lag OP, as the others here mentioned you can disable all processing and image enhancements in your TV video menu, which will definitely help, but it won't decrease lag levels to anything close to a TN panel monitor or anything.

Can you return your TV and get your money back? If so, then personally i would, and start from scratch. Here's a thread where the OP is beginning his research on a low input lag PC gaming TV: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1487294

As other have suggested try using game mode or turning off all post processing. Also try using 1920x1080 for your res. Sometimes TVs/monitors lag more when they are not at native res or using 1:1.

First i need to make sure i understand your circumstances correctly:

1) The frame rate is smooth, it isn't choppy. It doesn't slow down dramatically in intense firefights
2) there is no stuttering. The game doesn't stutter at certain locations
3) there is a lag between the second you move your mouse and when the screen responds to the movement

Does it do the same thing in windows when you just move the mouse around normally?

If so, i would definitly say its signal delay of your tv. There are two things you should do:

a) Make sure you are running native resolution, i have seen monitors and tv's induce noticable delay running in anything other than native

b) Turn off any post processing ffeatures in the tv. Go through the menus and turn off any color enhancements, motion enhancements, etc. Finally, if one of the options says "turn on game mode" turn it on.

I turned the FPS display on. Actually the frame rate is choppy. Since I have v-sync turned on, I notice the frame rate drops to 2x-3x in intensive fight, while it stays on 60 when nobody is around me. I also lower the resolution to 800x600. Choppy frame rate happens as well.

I don't remember this happens on my old monitor Weird... :(

I remember the game was smooth on my old monitor, if I switch to the TV on the fly, the game is still running smoothly. But if I hook the TV and reboot, things go bad.

So could it be a monitor driver issue? This monitor is recognized as a Sony TV in windows 7. But I couldn't find any driver from Sony.

On the other hand, I didn't notice any mouse movement delay though. There are only brightness, backlight, and contrast available in the menu if VGA port is used. So I have not much to try on the TV side.

okay, I found the problem.

In Nvidia Control Panel -> Change Resolution -> refresh rate, choose 59Hz instead of 60Hz.

Now my frame rate keeps smooth all the time just like before ;)

Back