pc games on macs

lillimon04

2[H]4U
Ok so if i was to buy a mac, which i want a laptop, how do i run pc programs on it, games, and office and other things? Do i need a certain program to do this task or it will just do it by its self?

we need to a make sticky about this:
you can run XP and Vista natively through bootcamp (free download from apple, makes a windows partition and lets you boot from it on startup)
Or you can use Parallels or VMware Fusion software to run XP/Vista alongside OS X in real time.

Arent they gonna stop making updates for bootcamp?
With parallel and VMware fusion u mean that you can switch from OS X and XP/Vista without restarting the laptop?

With parallel and VMware fusion u mean that you can switch from OS X and XP/Vista without restarting the laptop?

yes, you are running it virtualized. i wouldnt recommend 3d gaming through it though, but older games would be fine

Yes they will, once Leopard is released it will be integrated to OSX 10.5 so I think after the time bomb included in the current beta it won't be usable on Tiger anymore. With the leopard version of Bootcamp you won't need to "reboot" the mac will go to extended sleep (save ram content to hard drive) then switch to windows and once you go back to OS X windows will go to extended sleep too saving a lot of time it could take like 10 to 20 sec top to switch from one to the other.

Yes they will, once Leopard is released it will be integrated to OSX 10.5 so I think after the time bomb included in the current beta it won't be usable on Tiger anymore. With the leopard version of Bootcamp you won't need to "reboot" the mac will go to extended sleep (save ram content to hard drive) then switch to windows and once you go back to OS X windows will go to extended sleep too saving a lot of time it could take like 10 to 20 sec top to switch from one to the other.
There has been no statement that I know of that says bootcamp will no longer work with Tiger once leopard comes out. Although I wouldn't put it past apple to do something like that.

checkout apple.com/bootcamp

yes, you are running it virtualized. i wouldnt recommend 3d gaming through it though, but older games would be fine
Ya so that pretty much ruins all of my needs. But Leopard is going to have a built in bootcamp, or OS X 10.5?

Ya so that pretty much ruins all of my needs. But Leopard is going to have a built in bootcamp, or OS X 10.5?

Leopard is the codename for OS X 10.5, and yes it will have boot camp built in (ie dont have to download it). Currently you can still get bootcamp as a free download from apple.com/bootcamp. That will let you run windows natively (ie just like on your pc, no virtualization or emulation).

i think i was reading somewhere that they are not going to do it like that anymore the "extended sleep way"

I run bootcamp on my MBP with XP Pro installed and play BF2 and 2142 on it. Runs pretty good but I have the graphics set to med and low in some cases.

i think i was reading somewhere that they are not going to do it like that anymore the "extended sleep way"

well you should still be able to do it in windows, thats the hibernate function thats been in since xp was released. just dumps the ram to the hd.

well you should still be able to do it in windows, thats the hibernate function thats been in since xp was released. just dumps the ram to the hd.

I know that, except the way the current Boot camp work is the machine hardware reboot (act like a reset) to it takes longer even is windows was in hibernation mode. The Leopard version of boot camp will put the Mac to hibernation then immediately when this is done resume from hibernation windows. The machine won't reset at all.

I know that, except the way the current Boot camp work is the machine hardware reboot (act like a reset) to it takes longer even is windows was in hibernation mode. The Leopard version of boot camp will put the Mac to hibernation then immediately when this is done resume from hibernation windows. The machine won't reset at all.

Prove it. It was removed from the website, and someone from Apple said it's been removed from Leopard. I'd love to see it as a feature, but how do you know it will be there?

It was a MacScoop rumor/claim thing so take it with a grain of salt; but I don't doubt this probably will happen.

Guess you guys missed that Apple plans to release BootCamp for Tiger for 30$ once Leopard goes on sale like they did with iChat AV for 10.2 users when 10.3 was released.

Business Mac users will want to have a stable production environment until the Leopard kinks get worked out, and if they need BootCamp for that, Apple will have it for them, at the cost of 30$.

It was a MacScoop rumor/claim thing so take it with a grain of salt; but I don't doubt this probably will happen.

Guess you guys missed that Apple plans to release BootCamp for Tiger for 30$ once Leopard goes on sale like they did with iChat AV for 10.2 users when 10.3 was released.

Business Mac users will want to have a stable production environment until the Leopard kinks get worked out, and if they need BootCamp for that, Apple will have it for them, at the cost of 30$.

First I've heard of it. Have you got a link?

Oh well look like they pulled it, it was included in Jobs WWDC speech. I didn't follow it very closely. The point is it will still be included in Leopard but you will have to reboot, big deal...

Back