PC games on living room TV, how practical?

Is there anything better for keyboard mouse on sofa?

Depends what you mean and for what tasks exactly. . There arer emote controls/ 3D mice that are great for media and basic usage, but not much for gaming. Wireless gaming controllers like the Steam Controller (or Xbox360, XboxOne etc..) are options of course and may even be preferable for certain games. Notably, the Steam Controller makes a better stand in for KB/M preferred titles than any other controller. Likewise, clients like Steam's Big Picture Mode and XBMC's interface are designed for navigating with a controller/remote control, which makes it much easier if you don't wish to use a KB/M as a primary method of control.

Of course, there are keyboard and mouse setups designed to be easier for living-room use. Take the upcoming Corsair Lapdog or Roccat Sova lapdesks, which aim to make using KB/M as comfortable as possible. Of course, you could also roll your own with whatever size peripherals you wish, like a compact keyboard and trackball/mouse, for your particular needs.

So depending on exactly what you want to do, there are many solutions for playing on the sofa.

For me I have a HTPC in the livingroom. I can play some games but most recent titles I just run an HDMI cable from my gaming rig in the den/room next door through a low voltage wall box. THen I use my 360 controllers on that PC to play. Wireless KB/Mouse also work but I prefer my FPS games on a smaller monitor.

My cpu is in another room, I always display off of my family room TV. Keyboard and Mouse are Logitech Bluetooth - I haven't noticed any input lag anywhere in system. I'm working on getting a cable direct to my TV, but currently it only handles 1080p - If I went 4K I'd need a new machine that's closer to my monitor( currently using a 30' HDMI from my PC to the Receiver then 10' to the monitor. Blue tooth keyboard works well on my lap and the mouse works well on my leather sofa arm.

KB/M? Not worth it and nothing fits better than a desk and chair. As much as it sucks sitting at a desk (like I do at work) to play certain games there is not alternative.

For single player use a Xbox controller and you get all the other benefits of the PC (bigger FPS's/faster pixels zmog).

So it is hit or miss.

Absolutely wrong. I sit in a chair with two dx racer arms on it for mouse and razed nostromo. I never need a keyboard if I do I have a tray that connects to the two arms for kb. I don't sit at I desk I sit in a very reclined position in front of a 49" monitor

The biggest problem is input lag. The image quality on my plasma is better than anything you can buy for the desktop, at any resolution, but it does have a touch more lag than is desireable for truly competitive fps gaming. It puts you at a slight disadvantage. But PC gaming in the living room is still better than console gaming in the living room.

The biggest problem is input lag. The image quality on my plasma is better than anything you can buy for the desktop, at any resolution, but it does have a touch more lag than is desireable for truly competitive fps gaming. It puts you at a slight disadvantage. But PC gaming in the living room is still better than console gaming in the living room.

VT60 master race I see :)

I have a cheaper 54in ST50 that still blows away friends when they come to watch Blu-rays at our place. I haven't kept up on Panasonic lately, I hear they stopped making plasmas couples years ago? VT60 was the last/best model? I haven't bothered trying PC gaming on my TV, moving my rig would be too much a PITA because of how I've done cable management. I should try it with Witcher 3 just to see I guess.

Gaming on a big screen successfully is all about the proper screen distance. Make sure your xx-inches TV fills your field of vision the same as your 24" monitor. This really only applies to people looking to maximize their gameplay ability in semi-competitive fps etc. Otherwise do whatever.

You also have to consider if you're farther away, and if you need glasses or your vision is worse from a distance then that can alter your ability to perform well in a game.

If you're sensitive i don't suggest twitch shooter fps games on any TV. They all have input lag. There are plenty of them that are "good enough". But if you're sensitive i don't recommend it.

I thought my 39ms input lag on my plasma was non-discernable, but when i switched to my zero-input lag "throughput mode" gaming monitor on my WiiU for a twitch FPS shooter (Splatoon) it was night and day. However i am particularly sensitive.

Due to a lack of space my computer is in my living room and I dual screen with my TV. I only game on my TV with a controller though which works in many games.

Back