PC Games and multiple core use

Jospeh

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't have much to say as I don't really know about the topic, so I'll just ask. To what extent are games being programmed to run more than one thread? Are most of the newer games taking advantage of multiple cores (2 4 8?) or are they still single threaded for the most part?

almost all the new games use 2 cores now...but few use 4 cores. 2 core is still the best route to go right now, because by the time games start using 4 cores, your quad will be outdated anyway. But if you do more than just gaming, quad would be better.

Since I'm decide too between quad core vs. dual core. Gaming would be the main use but second would be for video compressing (9Gbs to 4.35Gbs ISOs). Would quad core be significantly faster or just 20% or less?

Right now I have a lowly P4 2.8Ghz system some anything is going to be an improvement.

TIA

Honestly, I would go quad and just get it done with. Unless your livelihood depends on fast computing (video editing and such), quad is nice for the multitasking ability. For me, it's nice to have several things going on without having to worry about too many things going on, neh? Besides, decent quad (Q6600, Q6700) have dropped hard in price. And they still work top notch.

Since I'm decide too between quad core vs. dual core. Gaming would be the main use but second would be for video compressing (9Gbs to 4.35Gbs ISOs). Would quad core be significantly faster or just 20% or less?

Right now I have a lowly P4 2.8Ghz system some anything is going to be an improvement.

TIA

If you use a proper video encoding program with multi-core support, a quad will absolutely rape a dual-core for that purpose. You aren't likely to notice much of a difference in gaming at the moment, but in the future it'll make more of a difference.

Quad core for sure. Even if a game is dual core only it's still usefull having 4 cores for alt-tabing your games and multi tasking ect. it's just all around faster. I can Alt-Tab my TF2 running at 1900x1200 maxed graphics instantly to other programs with no delay and jump right back in from desktop without any stalling.

a quad... is simply awesome. Trust me, i moved from a dual to a quad and i have to say i just feel an ego boost lol. And that is more than enough to feel good about purchasing it. Plus its cost effective when you think about it. Lots of new games are going multi so yeah

Quad core for sure. Even if a game is dual core only it's still usefull having 4 cores for alt-tabing your games and multi tasking ect. it's just all around faster. I can Alt-Tab my TF2 running at 1900x1200 maxed graphics instantly to other programs with no delay and jump right back in from desktop without any stalling.

Now that sounds really cool! I have yet to alt-tab out of a game and run another app without severely degrading the performance of my computer.

Thanks, you guys convinced me to go quad core now I feel better that it won't be a waste of money.

Now that sounds really cool! I have yet to alt-tab out of a game and run another app without severely degrading the performance of my computer.

Thanks, you guys convinced me to go quad core now I feel better that it won't be a waste of money.

Serious quadcore with Vista is ubelievable if you're coming from windows XP setup. In XP if I'd I hit alt-tab my computer would freeze for like 20-60 seconds, and then take 2 days getting back into the game. However with Quadcore-Vista the most amazing thing is how effortlessly you can have several games/apps simitaniously and tab through them all with zero delay. Browers Inertnet along with your game applications..NP :)

+1 to quad-core in Vista. I went from a 3 GHz Pentium 4 to a Core 2 Quad setup (Q6600) and I was just in shock as to how fast everything was. The first time I alt-tabbed out of a game, I did it like 5 or 6 more times as I just couldn't believe it. Plus, I can run six full-screen videos at the same time with no speed drops. :eek:

Wow guys, I really appreciate your comments.
I already purchased a copy of Vista Home Premium 64bit OEM and everything esle but the vitals, like:
Motherboard
Ram
Processor

Been waiting for the prices to drop down a little and I'm not in a big rush.
Also, I'm looking forward to Fallout 3 and Operation Flashpoint 2.

Back