• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC freezing sporadically

fonz

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 22, 2009
Messages
200
I've got two reference 5850s in a crossfire configuration. Since I've gotten these, my PC has been freezing from time to time. No BSOD, nothing, just black screen, numlock/capslock dont respond.

Happens mainly when switching resolutions in games or alt tabing in/out of games, although I've had it happen randomly when playing games. Games are always related to the freezes. Happens a lot more often when OCing, even smaller OCs. Temps have never gone above 80, they are usually around 60c though.

Still happening as of Catalyst 10.5, I'm about to update to 10.6 after finishing this post.

Edit; Also, I have dual monitors set up. My second display likes to flicker. Main is set at 1920x1200, second at 1680x1050
 
Last edited:
Set all overclocks to stock including CPU. If it still does it, check your RAM. Doesn't sound like a video card problem at all.
 
CPU/RAM OC has been the same since I was running my last video card (an 8800 Ultra). Nothing like this has happened for the lifetime of the computer, prior to putting these cards in. The OC is also 24/7 stable.
 
CPU/RAM OC has been the same since I was running my last video card (an 8800 Ultra). Nothing like this has happened for the lifetime of the computer, prior to putting these cards in. The OC is also 24/7 stable.

Just because it was stable with the 8800 doesn't mean it will be stable with the new cards. Just set everything back to stock and see what happens. Gotta rule the basics out.
 
Just because it was stable with the 8800 doesn't mean it will be stable with the new cards. Just set everything back to stock and see what happens. Gotta rule the basics out.

this.
 
Just because it was stable with the 8800 doesn't mean it will be stable with the new cards. Just set everything back to stock and see what happens. Gotta rule the basics out.

Agreed.

On that note, let us know what power supply you are running as well.
 
Back
Top