Votes: 23 100.0%
  • Western Digital Black!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Entilza

Limp Gawd
So building a PC for my boss,

I want something durable, should I just go with the western digital 1TB Black drive or one of the intel SSD's with a 5 year warranty..

kindasmart

Gawd
So building a PC for my boss,

I want something durable, should I just go with the western digital 1TB Black drive or one of the intel SSD's with a 5 year warranty..

1) Build your __BOSS__ a kick ass machine with a mechanical hard disk drive.
2) Three months later "tweak" machine for speed. INSTALL A SSD.
3) Look like a genius.
4) ?
5) Profit!!!

drklu

2[H]4U
The only shitty thing is cost, you'll be getting a 128gb SSD for around the same price as a 1TB give or take. I am constantly filling up my 128gb so that may irritate him. If it were me I would opt for at least a 256gb, it all depends on what he's using it for.

Chimay

Limp Gawd
SSD for local machine.. have boss use network share for storage. That way you backup everything!

rtangwai

[H]ard|Gawd
Depends on the boss - if you are in the same situation as Dilbert you can tell your boss he's getting a tablet and then give him an "Etch-A-Sketch" :D

Entilza

Limp Gawd
Thanks guys, some good guesses.

Yes all of the data is stored on the network so a small HDD is fine.

I can always re-install fairly fast if I ever have to replace the SDD.

I built 2 workstation PC's at work last year but decided to go with the caviar blacks, they are rock solid since.

I guess I was worried about SDD reliability but yer right there is no turning back and I think he'll appreciate the speed and won't care if it ever had to be re-installed.

thedge

Limp Gawd
After having SSDs as the primary hard drive it will be a very very frigid day in hell before I go back to a spinning disk. Any spinning disk.

ToddW2

2[H]4U
It's 2013 there's no way any custom built PC should have a spinner as the OS drive ;)

Nenu

[H]ardened
Have a good backup routine regardless of drive type.

REDYOUCH

Supreme [H]ardness
Just build it...

likeaboss.png

Nate7311

2[H]4U
Thanks guys, some good guesses.

Yes all of the data is stored on the network so a small HDD is fine.

I can always re-install fairly fast if I ever have to replace the SDD.

I built 2 workstation PC's at work last year but decided to go with the caviar blacks, they are rock solid since.

I guess I was worried about SDD reliability but yer right there is no turning back and I think he'll appreciate the speed and won't care if it ever had to be re-installed.

Since it won't be much of a factor since most data will be on the network, but for bang-for the buck comparison, Seagate's Hybrid drives have treated me quite well in builds and laptop upgrades for those that want extended capacity in a single drive.

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
After having SSDs as the primary hard drive it will be a very very frigid day in hell before I go back to a spinning disk. Any spinning disk.
Just the mention of it made me throw up a little.... :D

To the OP, 256gb would be good even if you think he might not come close to filling a 128gb.