PC for $500?

Retardo

Gawd
I need a new PC. Just need it for surfing and school work. whats a good mobo/cpu/video card for around $500? P4 or AMD, ATI or Nvidia. Doesnt matter. The other 200 is for case and ram and everything else. I have about $700.

just built a pretty nice PC for my friend for about $550 shipped. I think newegg had a deal w/ the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and Biostar Tforce 6100 motherboard that saved $20.
This is what I got for him.
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice (retail w/ stock heatsink)
Biostar Tforce 6100 Motherboard
512MB Corsair Value PC3200
Seagate 80GB HDD
NEC 3550A
Mitsumi FA404 Media Card Reader
Antec SLK3800B w/ 400W Smartpower Power Supply
onboard video + sound (which is pretty good for your needs) and you can just get a vid card and more RAM later if you want to game on it.

You might want to get a cheaper processor since you said it wasn't for gaming and invest in a larger hard drive and more RAM, but I just wanted to let you know that you could build a pretty good PC for around $500.

you cant beat the deal at best buy for $300.

When building your own PC dont forget to factor in $100 for Windows. :p

Grap3S0da said:
just built a pretty nice PC for my friend for about $550 shipped. I think newegg had a deal w/ the AMD Athlon 64 3500+ and Biostar Tforce 6100 motherboard that saved $20.
This is what I got for him.
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice (retail w/ stock heatsink)
Biostar Tforce 6100 Motherboard
512MB Corsair Value PC3200
Seagate 80GB HDD
NEC 3550A
Mitsumi FA404 Media Card Reader
Antec SLK3800B w/ 400W Smartpower Power Supply
onboard video + sound (which is pretty good for your needs) and you can just get a vid card and more RAM later if you want to game on it.

You might want to get a cheaper processor since you said it wasn't for gaming and invest in a larger hard drive and more RAM, but I just wanted to let you know that you could build a pretty good PC for around $500.

that seems good. might by a cheap video card though. dont like onboard. thanks

You should test the onboard video on the Tforce board first. Its pretty good compared to other onboard motherboards. I used the onboard video on my MSI RS480 board and it worked pretty good for Counter-strike and web surfing. I think the Tforce was meant for people who wanted a cheap but good solution for onboard video. If you still don't like it you can probably get a Geforce 6600GT for cheap on ebay or something.

Back