Pc feels sluggish

Pivo504

2[H]4U
So I often put my pc to sleep throughout the day when I'm not using it and even before bed. But ive started to notice that it gets sluggish is this normal? I notice when I do a restart my pc feels way faster. I'm not sure what other alternative I have other than putting the pc to sleep bc I'd gate to have to shut down everytime or restart?

So I often put my pc to sleep throughout the day when I'm not using it and even before bed. But ive started to notice that it gets sluggish is this normal? I notice when I do a restart my pc feels way faster. I'm not sure what other alternative I have other than putting the pc to sleep bc I'd gate to have to shut down everytime or restart?
When it feels sluggish, what is task manager showing? Maybe you can track down what's using the system reasources.

A restart is always going to be "cleaner" but sounds like you have something utilizing resources that shouldn't be.

If you open Resource Monitor in Windows check the Memory tab and sort by "Commit (KB)" column and see if anything unusual is up top. Also do the same for CPU column and sort by "Average CPU" and see what might be using more than it should. Often this type of sluggish feeling is the first sign of malware.

Where is Resource Monitor ?
Also there is a huge list of things in task manager but I have no idea what is needed and what is not lol
Is there just an issue with constantly putting your pc to sleep everyday that maybe requires you to do a restart after x amount of days? Or is there some better way than sleep?

Attachments

• 1598535272759-1060944111.jpg
    1598535272759-1060944111.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 0
Where is Resource Monitor ?
Also there is a huge list of things in task manager but I have no idea what is needed and what is not lol
Is there just an issue with constantly putting your pc to sleep everyday that maybe requires you to do a restart after x amount of days? Or is there some better way than sleep?

Resource Monitor either click Performance tab and there's a button for it or just hit Windows key and type "Resource" and it'll pop up.

I don't see anything concerning in that small pic but the act of Sleep just moves your session RAM to disk then sleeps. When you wake it up you are rewriting that session back to RAM and resuming where you left off, to include any processes with a memory leak etc.

Shutdown is like wiping the slate clean in RAM so everything is ready to be fast again.

Personally I only Sleep when I'm doing something and want to return to that task specifically in it's current state. Otherwise I just shutdown. Assuming the PC has an SSD at this point it only takes a few more seconds to boot up than resume from sleep.

Resource Monitor either click Performance tab and there's a button for it or just hit Windows key and type "Resource" and it'll pop up.

I don't see anything concerning in that small pic but the act of Sleep just moves your session RAM to disk then sleeps. When you wake it up you are rewriting that session back to RAM and resuming where you left off, to include any processes with a memory leak etc.

Shutdown is like wiping the slate clean in RAM so everything is ready to be fast again.

Personally I only Sleep when I'm doing something and want to return to that task specifically in it's current state. Otherwise I just shutdown. Assuming the PC has an SSD at this point it only takes a few more seconds to boot up than resume from sleep.
Well there are several times throughout the day that I might go on and off the pc so having to shut down each time is a bit annoying. There is nothing I need to save by doing sleep but waking from sleep is instant. Whereas having to turn pc off and on takes time and you also need to input login info each time something that waking from sleep bypasses..I've noticed it only gets laggy after a long time of constant sleep so maybe after I start to notice it gets laggy i can do a reboot. My specs are win 10 4690k @4.5 16 gb ram, ssd drive for Windows 10,970gtx

Maybe the CPU is sticking at a lower multiplier when it comes out of sleep sometimes.

Do you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard?

You can try adjusting the power settings to tell the CPU to run at 100% clock speed all the time... won't help if it is a BIOS issue though.

Back