• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC doesn't boot on first try (intermittent). Likely causes?

limitedaccess

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
7,592
Looking for some opinions on this.

Because this isn't a persistent issue I'd like to get some probalities on various causes before trying component swapping.


PC will power on with fans spinning up. Then it will stop, then start again and boot normally. Exhibits no other known issues. Extremely intermittent issue, maybe once every few weeks or more? Turned on and off once a day.

System -
2500k stock
MSI P67a-gd65
2x8GB DDR3 (Corsair 1600 CL9, using XMP)
GTX 970
1 ssd. 4 hdds.
2 140mm. 4 120mm.
Creative Audigy 4 SE

Edit: Added more specs
 
Last edited:
What kind of MOBO? Sounds like it could be a RAM OC failure or a RAM check reboot. I had an ASUS WS board that did that because the RAM I had was 1600 in XMP turned XMP off and set the setting manually with slightly loser clocks and never had the issue again.
 
Added more hardware details.

That's one aspect I hadn't considered yet. At the moment I've been thinking about the PSU or motherboard possibly being flaky and doing some planning around that in terms of upgrades.

As far as I know it doesn't actually even post before the restart though, both displays remain blank. Only activity I can tell is the fans spinning up and lights coming on (well the one power light).

Also just remembered that the bottom PCI slot may not be working. I think I had some issues with the sound card starting maybe 1-2 years ago? Thought it was the sound card and left it uninstalled for awhile but then decided to try the other slot.
 
I just recently swapped out a power supply which was giving me a weird issue. my computer needed 30 minutes between boot cycles, which is infuriating.
 
Do you disconnect the AC when the computer is off?

I have an old ASUS P5Q (socket 775) that will do that when the AC is disconnected.

Hit the power switch and it will power up for a couple of seconds, shut down for a couple of seconds, and then power up again and boot normally.
If I shut down the computer but leave the power strip on, it will power up normally. It will only do the above routine if the AC is disconnected.

I believe that is not a malfunction, but it does that by design. I think ASUS did that to make for a reliable boot up for PSUs that may need more
time to stabilize after being dead cold, no power. Pretty good idea actually.

.
 
I have a gigabyte socket 1156 that has done it since birth, first mobo I have ever experienced this issue with though. when i hit the power button it comes on for a couple seconds then turns off, then turns back on and boots normally. i hate it for my mechanical drives...

i leave my pc on 24/7 so it doesn't bother me too much. i also recently replaced the PSU and the behavior is the same.
 
Back
Top