PC Does What!?

A requirement missing from all these "PC does what?" commercials is, "Don't get upstaged by Apple.", which Apple will easily do with these batch of commercials.

I'm not excited about these commercials, so I'm guessing they're not for me...

Pretty lame commercials. But I like the ideas they are trying to promote. Mobility, battery life, screens and convertibility. While upgrading a PC for performance isn't nearly as necessary these days there are other factors that can make a modern PC a more pleasant device to use than something that just a few years old.

And then they show you a folding tablet/laptop thing.

As I said in the last thread. They're still marketing it towards the touch/tablet market. Although yes, a PC can do everything a tablet can do much better, but anyone with a functioning brain can figure that out.

I wonder how many millions they spent on those absolutely awful, soon to be forgotten commercials. They're as bad as the pill commercials that don't tell you what the pill does, they show you all kinds of pictures of happy or miserable people, and then, just "ask your doctor if Sofdikmed is right for YOU!'.

So the commercials are promoting portables, small form - I guess the desktops are dead and the faster cpu's are a waste. Great job Intel bunch, maybe killing off those actual useful and productive PCs.

So the commercials are promoting portables, small form - I guess the desktops are dead and the faster cpu's are a waste. Great job Intel bunch, maybe killing off those actual useful and productive PCs.

This isn't exactly a random decision. 2 in 1s are the fastest growing segment of the PC, indeed they are the only growing segment of the PC market with an expected growth rate year over year of 89% according to IDC. The numbers aren't huge, around 15 million units this year, but that's not much smaller than the entire Mac market and even at a substantially smaller growth rate next year could end up being a bigger market than Macs. And these devices have higher average selling prices than the average PC.

So like a lot of things they may not be popular with traditional PC folks the industry is going where the market is. If ever faster desktop PCs were what the market was clamoring for I'm sure that's what PC makers would be focused on. That's just not the case now and will probably never be the case again.

that lifeboat example was just a bad example.

he has no charger on hand, so after a day or so of use, the battery will be dead then what ?

>_>;

Desktop PC isn't dead, they are just more geared towards specific users such as gamer, or media editors for example. And those of us who do those stuff already knows why we need desktop PC, we love our performance and huge awesome displays. We don't need commercials to convince us of that.

For general usage, many people don't need high end performance or large display format. For these people, portability are beneficial too, and these hardware are geared towards them. Doesn't mean Intel isn't going to produce any hardware for the desktop/workstation segment anymore.

Desktop PC isn't dead, they are just more geared towards specific users such as gamer, or media editors for example. And those of us who do those stuff already knows why we need desktop PC, we love our performance and huge awesome displays. We don't need commercials to convince us of that.

For general usage, many people don't need high end performance or large display format. For these people, portability are beneficial too, and these hardware are geared towards them. Doesn't mean Intel isn't going to produce any hardware for the desktop/workstation segment anymore.

The problem with desktops leaving the mainstream is that there's like a lot less incentive for companies to invest R&D moolahs into products that take advantage of the unique situation of desktop computers ("unlimited" electrical energy and like very few weight and space concerns for cooling + hugenormous parts like full length expansion cards) so fewer tailored products are coming out. In fact, lots of stuff are at least getting the whole "mobile first" thing which means that companies are repurposing mobile parts into desktop form factors for which they're really not originally designed. Basically, it's a secondary concern for the companies that make junk for desktops which will help stagnate the market for them since actual mobile stuff is just as fast, plus you can move it around more easily.

Then again, the tablet thing is not really much of a growth market anymore either because people are figuring out that you can't be very productive with one and there are a lot more competitors making stuff so margins are getting smaller too. That's why Microsoft is slowly backing away from tablets by rebranding their Surface name into a laptop computer (instead of marketing all of their products as tablets anymore) and changing their OS back to something that's intended to work with a keyboard and mousey or touchy-feely pad.

I wonder how many millions they spent on those absolutely awful, soon to be forgotten commercials. They're as bad as the pill commercials that don't tell you what the pill does, they show you all kinds of pictures of happy or miserable people, and then, just "ask your doctor if Sofdikmed is right for YOU!'.

Oh I love those! Especially when kids seem them, and ask hey daddy, whats that? Can i have some? But why they look like they are having fun??!?!?!

Idiot drug companies.....

About at cringeworthy as the Church of Apple commercials.

I hate marketing people.

That's why Microsoft is slowly backing away from tablets by rebranding their Surface name into a laptop computer (instead of marketing all of their products as tablets anymore) and changing their OS back to something that's intended to work with a keyboard and mousey or touchy-feely pad.

The idea behind the Surface line is always been about productive and convertible devices. It's never been about pure tablets but tablet capability is central to point of Surface devices. 2 in 1 growth is very healthy right now with higher selling prices than conventional laptops. I don't see conventional laptops as a business that Microsoft would enter any time soon. The Surface Book wouldn't be nearly as interesting if it were a conventional laptop and a conventional laptop would be a much bigger direct competitor of Microsoft's OEMs that are probably not thrilled already about Microsoft entering the PC market even if it is a niche.

It would be cool to see someone make a computer that has pretty low end specs so that the PCB can be tiny. the 7.5W or 10W Skylakes. Soldered memory, storage, you know the routine. But then put it in a laptop that isn't paper thin so you can get like 15-20 hours of run time off the battery.

Would anyone buy it? I don't know. But it would be nice to see on the market.

This might be the prescription medication commercial you are referring too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gMjJNGg9Z8

PC Does what Applecan't. Doesn't have a nice ring to it.

We're not the intended audience. I see a lot of commercials for computer products, and it's very obvious we're not the audience for them. For us, a good tech document would be best. Doesn't exactly translate into a typical ad.

It would be cool to see someone make a computer that has pretty low end specs so that the PCB can be tiny. the 7.5W or 10W Skylakes. Soldered memory, storage, you know the routine. But then put it in a laptop that isn't paper thin so you can get like 15-20 hours of run time off the battery.

Would anyone buy it? I don't know. But it would be nice to see on the market.

I'd totally be interested in that sorta thing. It's sort of silly to see all this stressing reducing thickness when the other two dimensions are the same no matter what. Giving up like the idea of keeping the innards cool and having lots of battery power is one of those things about mobility that's kinda dumb. I'm not at all a big pile of muscle, but I'd rather carry around a nice thick laptop with lots of battery life that runs really cool and doesn't throttle thermally or have to juggle passive cooling and screamy fan noise. Like, an inch to two inches thick is fine with me.

I'd totally be interested in that sorta thing. It's sort of silly to see all this stressing reducing thickness when the other two dimensions are the same no matter what. Giving up like the idea of keeping the innards cool and having lots of battery power is one of those things about mobility that's kinda dumb. I'm not at all a big pile of muscle, but I'd rather carry around a nice thick laptop with lots of battery life that runs really cool and doesn't throttle thermally or have to juggle passive cooling and screamy fan noise. Like, an inch to two inches thick is fine with me.

Lighter, thinner, faster, more power efficient and cheaper have always been key drivers in the development of computing devices. As many have stated on this subject, faster isn't delivering much these days for most general computing tasks. If thin and light and power efficient gets the job done then it has natural appeal. The main issue is cost, the fastest thin and light devices come with a price premium but that's always been the case.

However there is a point where the price reaches market tolerance otherwise most PCs would still be desktops. It actually wasn't too long ago that was the case, I don't think laptops started outselling desktops until around 2007.

Lighter, thinner, faster, more power efficient and cheaper have always been key drivers in the development of computing devices. As many have stated on this subject, faster isn't delivering much these days for most general computing tasks. If thin and light and power efficient gets the job done then it has natural appeal. The main issue is cost, the fastest thin and light devices come with a price premium but that's always been the case.

However there is a point where the price reaches market tolerance otherwise most PCs would still be desktops. It actually wasn't too long ago that was the case, I don't think laptops started outselling desktops until around 2007.

Nah, thin is a made up marketing tool that appeals to people who can't see the forest because all the trees are in the way.

Back