PC Demand Takes off Ahead of Windows 7

HardOCP News

[H] News
It appears that global demand for computers has steadily increased since July of this year and is expected to get even better with the launch of Windows 7. This is definitely good news for PC makers that weathered six straight months of declining demand earlier this year.

Demand for PCs improved in July and August, which is "something special, because the expectation was that many people would delay purchases until after Windows 7 came out in October," said Manish Nigam, head of technology research in Asia for Credit Suisse, at a technology conference in Taipei.

The availability of free (temporary) copies of Windows 7 convinced me to upgrade early. I'd fully intended to wait until late October to build an i7 rig, but I started buying components slowly over the last two months and finally assembled the thing this week. (Damn good thing I bought early, too -- anyone see what happened to DDR3 prices? I bought 6 GB for $91 on Amazon, and a week later it was $151.)

Too bad some manufacturers don't seem to bother to keep producing the sku's in their current line-up. Oh well, I guess it's better to wait now until Windows 7 launches to get it preinstalled with all drivers working as they should.

The availability of free (temporary) copies of Windows 7 convinced me to upgrade early. I'd fully intended to wait until late October to build an i7 rig, but I started buying components slowly over the last two months and finally assembled the thing this week. (Damn good thing I bought early, too -- anyone see what happened to DDR3 prices? I bought 6 GB for $91 on Amazon, and a week later it was $151.)

Same thing here. Was going to upgrade my RAm from 4 to 8 gigs and the memory now costs twice as much. DAmn you Windos 7!!!

Yea!! I'm gonna go get a new computer because Windows 7 is coming out!!!!
Then I am going to get a new car because they are coming out with HD radio!!!
WEEEEEEEEE!!!!

WTF?

pretty genius ploy by MS if you ask me, the windows 7 rc public betas etc
i mean i already preordered 3 copies.

doesn't anyone see a coincidence between pc sales being up during a period where a lot companies have downsized and people are going back to school on top of the traditional hord of HS graduates going to college? Add in a abundance of relatively low cost computers AND the promise that you will receive a copy of windows 7 down the line.

I am not surprised that PC sales are up.

doesn't anyone see a coincidence between pc sales being up during a period where a lot companies have downsized and people are going back to school on top of the traditional hord of HS graduates going to college? Add in a abundance of relatively low cost computers AND the promise that you will receive a copy of windows 7 down the line.

I am not surprised that PC sales are up.

That's an interesting observation and logically very solid.

Man Microsoft is on a good role. I still have a couple of driver issues to iron out on my tx2z tablet. But my sig rig is running so sweetly now. Only do I wish I had an SSD RAID.

It's like Windows 7 is dude with a 15" man weapon telling the hard drives to give it to me bitch and there screaming all the way. Plus I could probably use some more RAM as well but that'll be taken care of on my i9 rig. Windows 7 with 1 TB of SSD RAID and 12GB is gonna be sweet!

It's like Windows 7 is dude with a 15" man weapon telling the hard drives to give it to me bitch and there screaming all the way

That had me rolling for a good minute. :p

10/22 will be the first time I'm actually going to go out and buy a copy of Windows. Presently I'm stuck between Windows XP and Windows 7 RC, and there's no way in hell I'm going back to XP when the RC expires.

No mystery, people want to grab a mature XP or Vista based system instead of having another Windows beta thrust upon them. They don't care nearly as much about the hype or supposed advances as they do that it just works to do the same things they did all along (tech geeks and aficionados aside). While lots of people have no problem with Win7, even more have no problem with XP or Vista so they stick with what works for them only changing when something prompts a change.

(Damn good thing I bought early, too -- anyone see what happened to DDR3 prices? I bought 6 GB for $91 on Amazon, and a week later it was $151.)

Haha, that reminds me of when Core 2 came out. Remember DDR2 prices? 2GB kits went from like $100 to $300 overnight. Gotta love the good old memory cartel: Samsung, Hynix, and co. :rolleyes:

Haha, that reminds me of when Core 2 came out. Remember DDR2 prices? 2GB kits went from like $100 to $300 overnight. Gotta love the good old memory cartel: Samsung, Hynix, and co. :rolleyes:

are you saying that after being caught and heavily fined they would just go back to their old ways?!!?!?!

argh, somehow i believe you.

I believe people are ready to embrace this new os. Vista was OK, but the early win7 adopters are ordering thier pcs now to take advantage of the win7 upgrade. I have helped several people who wanted prebuilts get thier machine already.

Back