PC Cooling for dusty environment

shanepez

Limp Gawd
TL;DR below if you don't need the whole story.

So, I have some rather unique requirements. My computer room is unfortunately the same room as where my fiancee's birds reside. If you do not know, birds are extraordinarily dusty creatures. The main reason being is that when they grow new feathers, feathers are too soft on their own to pierce their skin, so they have a casing that surrounds the feather to pierce the skin. After the feather is through the skin, the casing falls away in a sticky, organic dust.

This dust is SUPER hard to remove from computer components. Much harder than normal human skin dust. It sticks to components, and can largely only be removed by physically scrubbing it off. They also have lots of under-fluff feathers that are really tiny that get into the computer components. I end up taking my computer outside with a shop-vac in reverse mode and blowing out dust every couple of weeks. This removes a large portion of the dust, but does not get everything.

Unfortunately, the birds aren't going anywhere, and this room is the furthest from the bedroom, so the birds and computers will stay here.

My current setup is a case with a crap ton of fans, all with filters. The filters help, but lots of dust particles still get in and stick to the components.

TL;DR
I am looking for an enclosed system for cooling that won't allow dust into my computer. I have never used liquid cooling, so am looking for suggestions. Is liquid cooling a better option? My understanding is there is one radiator that sits on the outside that can be easily cleaned rather than a bunch of fans.

Thanks for your help!

the last year i had some type of similar "problem" but it was with 3 dogs.. first do not use your case in the floor, always use if possible in a table and preferably where receive little direct air like a corner.. and of course use high quality dust filters... i've used double filters the provides with my Case and a full kit of Demciflex filters the provided filters are inside the case the Demciflex are external so both made a great job keeping my case really really dust free. of course have this kind of filters mean you need really really to spend some money in high quality fans with a high static pressure..

A case with filters is good. It might be good to also look into a case that is able to be carried to a garage or outside to be blown out. I blew mine out the other day and should of taken it to the garage. :eek:

I live in Chandler, AZ, so I know how dust goes. It is super bad and takes not even a day to get dusty again. :)

I don't have that problem, but during summer here the clay turns REALLY light and fluffy dusty... I clean the case filters 3-5x per-year, and blow out once every year or two depending on PC usage. The blowout is amazingly clean depending on the case/quality, and a HUGE difference between a case with no filters.

Do you game? Or can you go 100% passive cooling? No fans + case filters = not much movement.
(This is how I am right now, just a CPU cooler fan.)

How do you feel about motion-less computing? I have a BRIX system which contains no moving parts. There are no fans to suck in dust.

Build it yourself:

• MDF
  • Furnace Filters (easy to change)
  • A few PC Fans
  • Weatherstripping for a gasket
  • Hinges & Latch
  • Paint to make it look pretty

Adjust to tower form factor as needed.

DSC_0350.jpg

Back