PC + Console gamers and Xbox360

Snipes

n00b
Hey guys, I'm one of the rare breed of gamers who looooves PC games and Console games..... when they're on their respectable platform. I dont know if its just me but I just cant stand to play PC games on any console, its not even about the controls, though thats also important, its the atmosphere. There are games which play better when you're 2 feet away from the monitor, with all your focus going into it. Then there are games where you can just sit back on your couch, pop open a beer and have fun beating the hell out of your friends. Thats why Xbox is really really annoying the hell out of me.

Now dont get me wrong, i'm not exactly a !!!!!! of sony or nintendo, hell I hate sony's guts as a company and havent owned any nintendo since n64. Thing is Xbox seems to lure every PC developer in the U.S into making games for it, though thats understandable seeing as its microsofts console. I'm afraid that pc devs will start making games with the console atmosphere in mind even if the game they're making is coming out for pc and xbox. For example anyone played HALO for the pc when it finally came out a year after the xbox version? They had the game so watered down for the xbox that by the time it was on the PC it just wasnt that fun. I wonder how the game would've turned out if MS hadnt bought bungie and it came out for the pc only as intended. Again the pc version of HALO was basically the same as the xbox version, yet it wasnt succussful because of its console-ish atmosphere, atleast thats my opinion.

When I see the launch line-up for the new xbox, all I see is 50% pc ports, 30% EA ports, and only 20% original Xbox stuff, though I admit the games in that 20% arent too shabby. Fact is if you're already a PC gamer and want to buy a console, theres very little reason to get this one. All I wish for is that developers design pc-style games for the pc, and console style games for the console, simple. When you start to get in-betweens, the quality of the games suffer. I would rather play Oblivion on a pc, than a watered down version of it on the xbox. On the other hand, I would rather play ff7/8, tomb raider or metal gear solid on my console, then on my pc (console devs learned REAL quick not mess with the system). So my msg to pc developers is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE when making a game that happens to be coming out for the pc and the xbox.... err just dont. Pick one and be done with it.

and thats that for my first rant on [H] your thoughts are welcome, be gentle pls.

I'll agree with you to a point... and you'll probably get flamed, but you do have a point. I tend to play PC-style games (RTS, FPS) on a PC because they are simply better there. However, I can't imagine playing any racing games, platformers, sports, or other console-type games on the PC successfully either. There are cases where a gamepad is better, and cases where the keyboard+mouse is better. Like you, I am one of those people who enjoys playing on both formats and is a fan-boy of neither. However, I think Microsoft is eyeing the dollars with this.

Think of it this way: they have their XNA development tools, which makes for really easy PC/console porting. Consoles also reach more homes than gaming PCs do, so they are really eyeing the dollars, and rightfully so. I disagree with it - as I usually will not buy PC ports for a console, but many of us outside of this tech-forum don't have gaming PCs, and can only play the "PC style" games on a console (see XBox 1 library... ports of Doom 3, Half-Life 2, etc etc). Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on which category you fall under, developers are also seeing the dollars... and companies like Epic are saying "X360 first, then PC". Whether it ends up being a positive thing or not remains to be seen.

Snipes said:
Hey guys, I'm one of the rare breed of gamers who looooves PC games and Console games..... when they're on their respectable platform. I dont know if its just me but I just cant stand to play PC games on any console, its not even about the controls, though thats also important, its the atmosphere. There are games which play better when you're 2 feet away from the monitor, with all your focus going into it. Then there are games where you can just sit back on your couch, pop open a beer and have fun beating the hell out of your friends. Thats why Xbox is really really annoying the hell out of me.

Now dont get me wrong, i'm not exactly a !!!!!! of sony or nintendo, hell I hate sony's guts as a company and havent owned any nintendo since n64. Thing is Xbox seems to lure every PC developer in the U.S into making games for it, though thats understandable seeing as its microsofts console. I'm afraid that pc devs will start making games with the console atmosphere in mind even if the game they're making is coming out for pc and xbox. For example anyone played HALO for the pc when it finally came out a year after the xbox version? They had the game so watered down for the xbox that by the time it was on the PC it just wasnt that fun. I wonder how the game would've turned out if MS hadnt bought bungie and it came out for the pc only as intended. Again the pc version of HALO was basically the same as the xbox version, yet it wasnt succussful because of its console-ish atmosphere, atleast thats my opinion.

When I see the launch line-up for the new xbox, all I see is 50% pc ports, 30% EA ports, and only 20% original Xbox stuff, though I admit the games in that 20% arent too shabby. Fact is if you're already a PC gamer and want to buy a console, theres very little reason to get this one. All I wish for is that developers design pc-style games for the pc, and console style games for the console, simple. When you start to get in-betweens, the quality of the games suffer. I would rather play Oblivion on a pc, than a watered down version of it on the xbox. On the other hand, I would rather play ff7/8, tomb raider or metal gear solid on my console, then on my pc (console devs learned REAL quick not mess with the system). So my msg to pc developers is PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE when making a game that happens to be coming out for the pc and the xbox.... err just dont. Pick one and be done with it.

and thats that for my first rant on [H] your thoughts are welcome, be gentle pls.

Welcome to the world of high development cost and needing to make profit. You will see more and more games on not only the X360 and PC but the PS3 as well. PC games dont sell as well generally to offset the huge budgets new games might need. Console versions are a great way to use the games assets to their fullest.

However don be so quick to call these games ports when alot of the time they are being developed side by side using the same tool set and art. Good examples are Oblivion and Call of Duty 2. Ports these are not.

Get used to it though, because if anything its only going to happen more and more. Basically every big game FPS has or is being released on a console and rumor has it F.E.A.R is next up for the X360.

I have an Xbox and soon an Xbox 360 so I can play games with my friends at parties and over Live. Not many of my friends can drop $2000 on a new gaming rig on an annual basis.

Dew said:
I have an Xbox and soon an Xbox 360 so I can play games with my friends at parties and over Live. Not many of my friends can drop $2000 on a new gaming rig on an annual basis.

Longer signature needed?

Dew said:
Who spends $2,000 on a gaming PC?

You can spend $500 on a gaming PC and still enjoy all the latest games. You just gotta know what to buy.

Also if you're technologically challenged and don't want to touch the inside of the PC there are other alternatives. Such as IBuyPower.

People who spend over $1,000 on a gaming PC are either.

A. People who didn't build it and went to Dell for a gaming PC. :rolleyes:

B. People who did build it but got Raid hard drives with dual core CPUs and SLI graphic cards.

C. People who bought a gaming laptop.

I'll admit a $500 gaming PC won't play HL2 with high resolution and all the bumps and lights turned on but it'll still play.

If you build it and do it carefully you could have a gaming PC for around $500 that'll have an Athlon 64 with a Geforce 6600 graphics card. More then enough power to enjoy todays PC games.

Of course minus the keyboard, mouse, monitor, and printer. I'm assuming you already have all these things as I'm sure there isn't a single person who doesn't own a computer. They just don't have a kick ass gaming computer. :p

When the PC slows down you can always drop in a duel core Athlon/Pentium with a newer graphics card. You don't need a whole new computer annually. :rolleyes:

My PC you see in my sig didn't change much in 2 years. When I built it I had a Athlon XP 2200 with a Radeon 9500 Pro. Since then I added a $100 Athlon XP Mobile which I overclocked easily and a $160 Geforce 6800 that I unlocked successfully.

For at least another year or two it'll game just fine. Won't be 1600X1200 gaming but it won't matter much to me.

DukenukemX said:
Who spends $2,000 on a gaming PC?

I do, not at once mind you. This year alone I've spent over $3000 on computer upgrades. There is still a month left in this year too. I'm still debating the Opteron 165/170 and a 512MB GTX :D (I am debt free, if you exclude my car)

Last year I did a little better, I think I stayed under $1500.

And I know how to build a budget computer. I just build a $600 BF2 box for my little brother. People buy consoles because they are a once every 3-5 year investment.

Back