PC build for a friend

volt01

Limp Gawd
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, and running engineering programs like AutoCAD

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Preferably under $1000 I think I could get him to go higher

3) Where do you live?
Pittsburgh PA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
Everything except Monitor, keyboard and mouse

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Monitor

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Soon

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI
support? etc.
He doesn't really need anything fancy with the motherboard just one that is overclock friendly

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
Yep windows 7 64bit. Go being a college student.

I was thinking an i5 750 build, as a general starting point.

I'm also debating between a 5770 or 5850. How will the 5770 handle 1920x1080?

That's a good build gwarren, except I don't like the motherboard. I think this review sums it up best:

Cons: Claims to have Dual Bios... it doesn't.

Can only update bios from floppy, not from USB... latest bios is 2 megs... will not fit on 1.44 floppy... good job.

Forget the software, installing EasyTune6 did nothing: app installed but running the exe's did zilch, not even an error message. Latest version, just dl'd from Gigbyte's site. Running Windows 7 64 bit.
Other Thoughts: For 100 bucks, not bad, but really it should have the features it claims.. there's no Dual Bios...

That sounds like a support nightmare. No dualbios, the Windows tools that ship with the board don't work, and the BIOS update only works from a floppy. Sounds to me like Gigabyte cut too deep on this budget board for anyone's liking.

I would instead recommend this board:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130246

Nobody has any complaints using the bundled software, or complaints about upgrading the BIOS, AND and the OC Genie is highly-praised in the reviews.

You do lose the combo, but that's a small price to pay for a good motherboard.

its their low end board, lol, what did you expect for $100? BIOS updates work from USB, simulated floppy. who the hell uses easytune? lol. dual bios is simulated. nitpicking. the UD3L is a good board for what you pay.

oc genie is nice, but you're paying $15 more for it. i'd rather save the $15, not deal with a MIR, and just OC via the bios... its not very hard. just personal preference. there isn't one board that nobody has complaints about. ;) there is no perfect board.

Why would you recommend a 640GB drive for $70 over a 1TB drive for ~$20 more? Those 640GB drives were the same price a year ago - move on to more storage. We're not talking any noticeable improvement in performance from a 2 platter 640GB drive to a potentially 3 platter 1TB drive. Get more space.

I agree, the 640GB drives are overpriced still, but the typical rec, a Samsung F3 500GB ($55) is out of stock. Yes, if you have an extra $20, go for the 1TB if you need that much space. Or, wait for the F3 to get back in stock if you don't need that much space.

its their low end board, lol, what did you expect for $100? BIOS updates work from USB, simulated floppy. who the hell uses easytune? lol. dual bios is simulated. nitpicking. the UD3L is a good board for what you pay.

oc genie is nice, but you're paying $15 more for it. i'd rather save the $15, not deal with a MIR, and just OC via the bios... its not very hard. just personal preference. there isn't one board that nobody has complaints about. ;) there is no perfect board.

Dude, since when are you bitching about fifteen dollars? Christ, if fifteen dollars is so important, WHY THE FUCK are we selling the OP on a Core i5 750 system, which has a $50 premium over a Phenom II x4?

Stop having an aneurysm just because I dare to question gwarren's perfect build. Yes, there is no perfect board, but the board from gwarren's build is on the bleeding-edge of a 3 (combined rating = 3.53), while the board I linked has a combined rating of 4.48 (same number of reviews), and is an entirely different league regarding customer satisfaction.

That's not a lot to ask for fifteen bucks, you'd think. Why cheap-out on the motherboard, especially if you're overclocking? And gwarren's build is already well-under the $1000 soft limit posted (thanks to his good work with the combos), so there's wiggle room.

Back