• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PC Blue Screening Randomly, Tried everything

stjuart

n00b
2FA
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
20
My cousin drops off his PC at my house to fix, because he is getting random blue screens. I have have taken the PC a part 5 times, and tried different parts from my working PC and have reloaded the OS each time to see if would not blue screen, and it loads all the way into the OS. I can reload win 7 ultimate no problem but it will get blue screens, sometimes on boot up, sometimes half hour later. I have run fur mark, Prime95, you name it. I put in a new hard drive, new memory, mobo was exchanged, New cooler, the only part left, is power supply, which is a thermal take, 850watt. Also CPU which is a Core duo Q6600, MOBO is a EVGA 790 tri sli.
I have one theory left, the pins may be bent on the mobo. I took photos and would like Someone to look at pics and tell me if its just the pins are bent.
imag0112t.jpg

imag0115z.jpg

imag0116g.jpg
 
The pins and CPU look fine, and you said the mobo was exchanged. A bent pin is pretty obvious. And it probably wouldn't POST if that were the case.

I would go back to square 1, the blue screens. What are they saying, how repeatable are they, do they happen only after heat has built up or right away, etc. I built a system a year ago that had a similar issue, it ended up being 1 bad stick in a triple-channel set. I narrowed it down to which stick by removing one at a time.
 
sounds like a ram issue test each stick.

This. Windows 7 comes with Memory Diagnostics Tool. Run ot by typing "memory" in the Start Menu search box, and then tell it to restart your computer and run.

If the test fails, then try swapping ram sticks out until it works. This will help you isolate the bad memory stick (rarely are they both bad).

If you can't get into Windows long enough to start Memory Diagnostics Tool, then go download memtest+ and try that.
 
Don't forget that memtest+ is no longer the end-all-be-all of memory testing like it once was. You need a multi-threaded app to really lean on the memory sub-systems these days, unfortunately.
 
I agree it sounds like a memory issue.

memtest quite simply sucks. The stick has to be throwing off some major errors for it to show up in memtest. Prime blend test works a whole lot better and better still is to simply swap the sticks with a fresh or known good set.
 
Last edited:
As stated test the ram. If it tests ok then he problem might be a faulty psu.
 
Another theory that I'll throw out having learned from experience from my fun times with some older Abit motherboards (not that yours is an Abit, but still) is that, if the electrolyte capacitors begin to go bad, it can cause undervoltage to the CPU at random times and cause the CPU to do some strange things.

I agree with the others about RAM as that is most certainly the problem, but if you can switch out the RAM and still have issues, you have to continue doing a process of elimination with the components until you narrow it down.

Assuming you have the spare parts to do a process of elimination, I'd just swap out the RAM with some different sticks and see if you continue to get blue screens.
 
I can definitely vouch from RAM being the issue here. I ran into a similar problem with a friends build and it turned out one of the RAM sticks was at fault, even though it passed memtest just fine.
 
Im going with the majority and say its the ram as well. but my little netbook has been doing the same thing but in this case it was the HDD. You could always do a HDD check as well to see if it is failing too.
 
The pins and CPU look fine, and you said the mobo was exchanged. A bent pin is pretty obvious. And it probably wouldn't POST if that were the case.

Just for posterity's sake, a system can POST with bent pins and sometimes even run in OS with weird random blue screens. :)

OP: It probably wouldn't hurt to try moving the hard disk's SATA cable to a different port in addition to the HDD check that Cataulin suggested.
 
Without blue screen codes it cannot be diagnosed. Anyone diagnosing without is taking shots in the dark.
 
I've diagnosed bad sticks dozens of times and I've never needed the bsod code to do it. It's called troubleshooting.
 
I've diagnosed bad sticks dozens of times and I've never needed the bsod code to do it. It's called troubleshooting.

yes it is, You can do that but ultimately the BSOD tells you what the problem is. Wasting time on memory when its not even Memory BSODs would be uneffecient.
 
Back
Top