PC Audio Fluctuating, Appears to be Speakers, Please Advise!

Ryankirsch13

Limp Gawd
I have been having issues with audio fluctuations on my PC (Windows 10). They are spontaneous, sometimes worse than other times. Last night it was unbearable. An example of the sound fluctuations would be placing a pillow firmly over the speaker, then removing it. Sometimes its only half a second, sometimes it stays that way for a few minutes. I thought it had to do with realtek drivers/enhancements/driver updates and i have played with them in every way i can imagine to no success. I realized over AUX another speaker is fine. My usb headphones and AUX headphones are all fine. So plugging my phone into my Bose PC speakers (the ones i'm having issues with) the audio did the same thing, although at the time of typing this it appears ok, it did happen. I had tried swapping the AUX cable but that doesn't appear to be the issue. Any idea if its maybe time for new speakers or if anyone has had this issue in the past and can give me somewhere to start. Also, note, there is no noticeable sound degradation from the speakers. They sound great.
These are Bose Companion 2 speakers and have served me well for about 3-4 years now. Thanks!

Sounds like your tweeter is cutting out. Possibly a failing amplifier in the speaker or a dirty potentiometer.

An oxidised potentiometer (volume pot, balance, loudness etc) can cause intermittant changes in the sound. Usually they also start to crackle when you move them about.

They can be fixed easily by spraying cleaning solvent and rotating them repeatedly - but in order to do that you have to crack open the case. The solvent needs to go to the pot from the behind usually.

Sounds like your tweeter is cutting out. Possibly a failing amplifier in the speaker or a dirty potentiometer.

An oxidised potentiometer (volume pot, balance, loudness etc) can cause intermittant changes in the sound. Usually they also start to crackle when you move them about.

They can be fixed easily by spraying cleaning solvent and rotating them repeatedly - but in order to do that you have to crack open the case. The solvent needs to go to the pot from the behind usually.

I appreciate this response. I can safely crack into the case if need be. It hasn't crackled at all, the audio quality is still solid for what these speakers are if you don't look at the fluctuations. I'll see if i can produce any distortion or crackling noises, then we will know the issue for certain. Thanks!

I appreciate this response. I can safely crack into the case if need be. It hasn't crackled at all, the audio quality is still solid for what these speakers are if you don't look at the fluctuations. I'll see if i can produce any distortion or crackling noises, then we will know the issue for certain. Thanks!

Just make sure that you use a solvent meant for the purpose (CRC Contact cleaner spray for example). Many others are not suitable and may cause more damage than clean.

The potentiometer problem is easily tested by just turning the pots around and observing the sound. If the sound cuts out and/or the turning motion causes crackling, your pots are oxidised. If that has no effect - then your problem may be internal in the amplifier and harder to DIY fix.

Back