Paypal is not loading! Help!

ps3guru03

Gawd
Agg..I hate to post up a thread like this, but I have too, even if I hate paypal. :D

Anyways, I am going to receive some payments shortly so I need to get into my account, but its not loading up. I have already checked my wires and repaired the connection. I have tried loading paypal on firefox and IE but they both do the same.

I also checked my internet, and all other webpages load fine instead of paypal.

Can one of yall help me?

PS - Why is the paypal always super slow, even with a comcast cable connection?

I will assume Windows, correct me otherwise.

Have you tried:
1.) Flushing your DNS resolver cache? (ipconfig /flushdns)
2.) Going to Paypal via its IP address?
3.) Shot in the dark: Do you have a modified hosts file? This file is in \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and tells the system where to direct IP requests.

On another note...Paypal loads fine for me on Comcast. However, I don't use Comcast DNS servers because of the problems I had with those in the past when they'd be going down very often.

I will assume Windows, correct me otherwise.

Have you tried:
1.) Flushing your DNS resolver cache? (ipconfig /flushdns)
2.) Going to Paypal via its IP address?
3.) Shot in the dark: Do you have a modified hosts file? This file is in \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts and tells the system where to direct IP requests.

On another note...Paypal loads fine for me on Comcast. However, I don't use Comcast DNS servers because of the problems I had with those in the past when they'd be going down very often.

Thanks for you quick response. :) I did step 1, but I don't know how to do 2 and 3. Sorry, I am a complete newb at this type of stuff.

Thanks for you quick response. :) I did step 1, but I don't know how to do 2 and 3. Sorry, I am a complete newb at this type of stuff.

2.) Well, you probably won't trust some IP addy link from a random stranger on the net. :p

Open a 'cmd' prompt, and type in 'nslookup paypal.com'

Code:
> nslookup paypal.com
Server:       <blah blah my servers>

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   paypal.com
Address: 216.113.188.64
Name:   paypal.com
Address: 216.113.188.34

And it will query your DNS servers for what IP paypal.com resolves to.

As you can see, it's 216.113.188.64, but you can try it yourself if you don't trust me. :)

Then just type in the IP address into the URL bar, like http://216.113.188.64

3.) Open up notepad, and open the file:

Code:
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

The default contents of the file look something like this:

Code:
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

Does yours look very different?

Be warned this could be indicative of a malware infection. I would be very careful and do a few scans before logging into your account.

Be warned this could be indicative of a malware infection. I would be very careful and do a few scans before logging into your account.

Are you serious??...omg...I am going to do a scan right now. Thanks for letting me know..;)

What turned out to be the problem? Was your hosts file modified???

I seem to have a different issue: I can access paypal with Internet Explorer, but with Netscape (which I mostly use) is gives me an error - 'this site is a phishing site blah blah blah' and it wont load.

Sorry for the browser n00b questions - Any quick fix?

Did you follow the steps in this thread? Did you check all the things listed here?

I seem to have a different issue: I can access paypal with Internet Explorer, but with Netscape (which I mostly use) is gives me an error - 'this site is a phishing site blah blah blah' and it wont load.

Check for spyware. Anytime you start seeing this kind of funkiness from financial websites, assume some sort of malware infection and procede from there.

I don't think netscape is a good browser to use. I have never used it, but barely anyone uses it. I don't even use IE anymore once the release of Firefox appeared. I rec. using firefox. Forget about netscape.

Back