• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Paycheck came in!

TeeJayHoward

Limpness Supreme
2FA
Joined
Feb 8, 2005
Messages
13,377
So my paycheck came in, and my 7800GTX temps are scaring me. Let's fix that, shall we?

I love the look of the Aquacomputer stuff, but I'll be damned if it isn't as expensive as hell. If I'm to go water-cooling, I'm going to cover my CPU AND my video card. AC's got this nifty 7800 waterblock coming out soon, and I want one.

My problem is, I can't afford the rest of the AC gear.

$100 Pump
$125 GPU waterblock
$125 CPU waterblock
$100 Radiator
$75 Resevoir
$10 Tools
$25 Fans
$15 Hoses

Yeah, the prices are a little high, I do this to compensate for shipping costs. My problem is that the total comes out to $575. I'm hoping to get the whole setup done for about $400.

So... It's not going to happen, is it? Well, what CAN I get setup for $400? Big, Loud, Powerful. I do not have the ability to use any of the 5.25" bays in my Cooler Master ATC-710. I don't care about sound levels, provided they're quieter than my window fan. (Which is a high-speed loud beast. Almost sounds like a vacuum cleaner.) I need to cool my CPU and my BFG-7800GTX. I took out the bottom 3.5" bays, and I'm hoping I can put the radiator inside the case, where the intake fans currently are.
 
TeeJayHoward said:
So my paycheck came in, and my 7800GTX temps are scaring me. Let's fix that, shall we?

I love the look of the Aquacomputer stuff, but I'll be damned if it isn't as expensive as hell. If I'm to go water-cooling, I'm going to cover my CPU AND my video card. AC's got this nifty 7800 waterblock coming out soon, and I want one.


Okay :) How about this:

AC 7800 cooler w/ 3/8 barbs $ 100 (based on price of 6800 cooler less devaluation of Euro)
AC Cuplex Pro w/ 3/8 barbs $70
Laing DDC std 3/8 barbs $75
BI Pro 240 $40
AC Evo 240 Grill $30
T-line w/ DD Fillport $15
9 feet 3/8 Tygon tubing $18
Fans your choice $25

Total $377 + shipping
 
Top Nurse said:
Okay :) How about this:

AC 7800 cooler w/ 3/8 barbs $ 100 (based on price of 6800 cooler less devaluation of Euro)
AC Cuplex Pro w/ 3/8 barbs $70
Laing DDC std 3/8 barbs $75
BI Pro 240 $40
AC Evo 240 Grill $30
T-line w/ DD Fillport $15
9 feet 3/8 Tygon tubing $18
Fans your choice $25

Total $377 + shipping

*blinks* Didn't know you could get AC stuff in non-"pc-s" sizes. Is the 7800 cooler really only going to be $100? Even the 6800 coolers are closer to $115 or $120 here.

Thanks, by the way :)
 
TeeJayHoward said:
*blinks* Didn't know you could get AC stuff in non-"pc-s" sizes. Is the 7800 cooler really only going to be $100? Even the 6800 coolers are closer to $115 or $120 here.

Thanks, by the way :)

Where is here? Here in the USA the price of the AquagraFX 6800 rev 2 is $105
 
TeeJayHoward said:
.

So... It's not going to happen, is it? Well, what CAN I get setup for $400? Big, Loud, Powerful.

i didn't realize how expensive AC stuff was. I built my chiller setup for around that much.
 
Top Nurse said:
Where is here? Here in the USA the price of the AquagraFX 6800 rev 2 is $105

USA. (Colorado, Specificly). I was comparing Sharka and SNT. Where's it $105?
 
Jonsey said:
i didn't realize how expensive AC stuff was. I built my chiller setup for around that much.

If I only had the tools, it would be phase-change for me, but with at least $500 in parts for just the dual-cascade setup, and another $500-$1000 for tools... *shivers*

Chilled water... Hmm...

Okay, let's say, screw AC. Make something else, and make it cold. Unless AC really makes the best performing gear?
 
YOU can cut your bill by merging the radiator, pump, and reservior in to a Zalman 1+. And get an external pump along with it.
 
TeeJayHoward said:
If I only had the tools, it would be phase-change for me, but with at least $500 in parts for just the dual-cascade setup, and another $500-$1000 for tools... *shivers*

Chilled water... Hmm...

Okay, let's say, screw AC. Make something else, and make it cold. Unless AC really makes the best performing gear?

You need to get a hold of BitchBreaker and have him make you an alcohol chiller. Just PM him. :)

What's the "best"? You have to tell us as that term causes a lot of BS around here....
 
Top Nurse said:
What's the "best"? You have to tell us as that term causes a lot of BS around here....

I want low temperatures. If at all possible, I want to drop below 30C load. (I know, probably not possible with H2O.) If it weren't for the need to cool my GPU and my CPU, I'd be saving for a phase change setup. (But, then again, I really want it to all fit in my case!)
 
i have the bi pro 360 and everything else is AC but with all 3/8 barb fittings (45' , 90' and normal barbed fittings) and for the pump i am using a c-systems pump there small, quite and not bad on the $$$
 
TeeJayHoward said:
So my paycheck came in, and my 7800GTX temps are scaring me. Let's fix that, shall we?

I love the look of the Aquacomputer stuff, but I'll be damned if it isn't as expensive as hell. If I'm to go water-cooling, I'm going to cover my CPU AND my video card. AC's got this nifty 7800 waterblock coming out soon, and I want one.

My problem is, I can't afford the rest of the AC gear.

$100 Pump
$125 GPU waterblock
$125 CPU waterblock
$100 Radiator
$75 Resevoir
$10 Tools
$25 Fans
$15 Hoses

Yeah, the prices are a little high, I do this to compensate for shipping costs. My problem is that the total comes out to $575. I'm hoping to get the whole setup done for about $400.

So... It's not going to happen, is it? Well, what CAN I get setup for $400? Big, Loud, Powerful. I do not have the ability to use any of the 5.25" bays in my Cooler Master ATC-710. I don't care about sound levels, provided they're quieter than my window fan. (Which is a high-speed loud beast. Almost sounds like a vacuum cleaner.) I need to cool my CPU and my BFG-7800GTX. I took out the bottom 3.5" bays, and I'm hoping I can put the radiator inside the case, where the intake fans currently are.

I just happen to have a Ac EVO CPU block if you are interested.
 
If you want the best cooling and don't care about noise or looks, aquacomputer is not for you. The primary appeal of AC is that it looks good, is silent, and cools almost as good as bigger, uglier systems. No sense paying a premium if silence and looks are secondary considerations for you.

For $400, you can't really get anything more extreme than H20 (maybe an ugly chiller or pelt, but IMHO those are more trouble than they're worth, and definitely not beginner friendly). Maybe bitchbreaker can do something for you, I have no idea what he can make and for how much.

Unless he can make something way sweeter, I'd stick with water. Here's the stuff I'd buy for $400:

Swiftech Storm CPU block ~ $80
DangerDen/Liang D5 pump ~ $80
DangerDen Maze4 GPU + Ramsinks ~ $80
Heatercore or biggest BlackIce radiator you can fit ~ $40 - $80
Fans ~ $30
Some sort of reservoir (if you want one) ~ $40
10 ft tygon tubing ~ $30

Get 3/8" fittings on everything and 3/8" tubing, or 1/2" fittings and 7/16" tubing if you want to be hardcore.

If you really like the AC 7800 block, you can substitiute that for the Maze4 + Ramsinks, it probably won't be that much more expensive, but watercooling the Graphics Card RAM doesn't really help anything. And if you want a smaller/quieter/almost as good pump, get a DDC instead of the D5.

That should be about $400, look decent, and perform as well as any H20 system out there.
 
Sevenpants said:
Here's the stuff I'd buy for $400:

Swiftech Storm CPU block ~ $80
DangerDen/Liang D5 pump ~ $80
DangerDen Maze4 GPU + Ramsinks ~ $80
Heatercore or biggest BlackIce radiator you can fit ~ $40 - $80
Fans ~ $30
Some sort of reservoir (if you want one) ~ $40
10 ft tygon tubing ~ $30

Can anyone second this?

$80 - Swiftech Storm CPU block
$80 - DangerDen D5 pump
$70 - DangerDen Maze4 GPU + Ramsinks
$40 - Black Ice Pro II
$30 - 2x 120mm fans
$65 - AquaTube reservoir
$30 - 10 ft tygon tubing
___________________________________
$395 Total

Can you show me a comparison of the Storm to other waterblocks? I'm curious as to why/if it's so great.

Sevenpants said:
Get 3/8" fittings on everything and 3/8" tubing, or 1/2" fittings and 7/16" tubing if you want to be hardcore.

What's the advantage to having 1/2" fittings and 7/16" tubing vs 1/2" ID tubing AND fittings?
 
1/2" ID tubing is big and ugly and unneccesary, that's what. I prefer 3/8". And btw, I told you to get basically that exact system, if you had clicked the link I gave....


I dunno about paying $65 for a rad. You can get one at DD for $17.

The Maze4 will give you plenty good GPU cooling.

The storm will probably give you another 2c or so. It's a really good block if you can afford it. http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php
 
Russ said:
put it on the floor of your case?
I've got a PCI-X SCSI card that's as long as my motherboard is, and the rad and fans and pump all have to fit in the area between the mobo and intake hole. There's no room for it there. Thow only availible space I have in my computer is at the very top, and even then, it's a tight fit.
 
Sevenpants said:
Get 3/8" fittings on everything and 3/8" tubing, or 1/2" fittings and 7/16" tubing if you want to be hardcore.

why 1/2 with 7/16 fittings? shouldn't they match up?
 
Nek said:
why 1/2 with 7/16 fittings? shouldn't they match up?

They don't make stuff with 7/16" fittings. If you stretch 7/16 ID over 1/2, you should be just fine. That or go with 3/8" ID and 3/8" fittings for everything.
 
I wouldn't recommend an aquatube reservoir with that setup. They definitely look cool, but the inlets and outlets are pretty small at the narrowest point (1/4" or so) regardless of which size connectors you get. Forcing everything through small holes like that will slow down your flow, which will cost you some cooling performance. If you go with 3/8" everywhere, the aquatube may not add too much restriction to your setup, but it would definitely hold a 7/16" system back.

There have been lots of threads about reservoirs that work better with 3/8" or 1/2" tubing, I'm sure you can find a decent reservoir in one of those. Or go without, they're not necessary and just add conveniance.

why 1/2 with 7/16 fittings? shouldn't they match up?

7/16" will stretch over 1/2" barbs easily, and it's much easier to work with.

See this thread for more about 7/16" tubing and where to buy it:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=919654
 
what are those other things, "fass-o-matic"s or something? I think they are american cylindrical reservoirs, so you should have no problem getting a 1/2" or 3/8" OD res. I forget the website though, sorry. Try google.
 
Russ said:
what are those other things, "fass-o-matic"s or something? I think they are american cylindrical reservoirs, so you should have no problem getting a 1/2" or 3/8" OD res. I forget the website though, sorry. Try google.

Sorry, but nothing like that made in America. Fass-O-Matic is made by Innovatek and can be had through High Speed PC or Frozen CPU
 
well, yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. I didn't spend that much time on the Frozen CPU site or wherever I saw em (too expensive). It is a foreign distributer? If you can get em in the US w/o importation costs etc. then that's what I was implying. Not really that they were made in the US or something (I have no idea where they're made).

I was just saying that they aren't AC/small barb res that will restrict his flow.
 
Back
Top