Pay as you go SIM card

cxz001

Limp Gawd
Anyone know any good Pay Go SIM Cards for US Domestic?

Basically I just need to use it to call my parents. Is there a cheap unlimited plan that allows me to call them? Suppose they are in the same network as me or whatever the SIM Card is in.

I've never seen an unlimited pay as you go. Normally, you buy minutes.

Pick whatever is the best carrier in your area, and get their card. Unless your phone is unlocked or on the same carrier, you are going to need a new phone also.

I get mine from Target. Of course, being from a US carrier, that process is also seriously retarded.

http://www.prepaidreviews.com/

Last edited:
which one do you get?

Depends on where I'm at, what I'm doing and which one has pissed me the least. ATT, Tracphone, Net10 or T-Mobile.

Tracphone does this lame shit where they lock the SIM card to the phone, so you can't put the SIM into another device.

I hear Boostmobile is OK, but I'm old and white. I don't think they sell to me.

Boost is actually a very good deal, and they're trying to shed the "urban" image. More and more phones are using the (much better) Sprint network, instead of the Nextel network, and you can either do 10 cents/minute, $50/month unlimited, or $2/day unlimited.

Virgin mobile is another option, $25 for 300 minutes, unlimited text/web, $40 for 1200 minutes with text/web, or $60 for unlimited everything

+1 for Boston mobile here. Worked awesome when I used them. Haven't tried using my old boost similar in my Droid though so I don't know of unlimited web would be worth it now.

I have an ATT GoPhone sim in my Samsung Intrepid (unlocked "world phones" are wonderful for this because you can attach the CDMA side to whichever carrier you want and still swap out the SIM for a second carrier) Their SIMs are unlocked and will work in any GSM phone

I have also used Verizon's prepaid and cant complain much (other than their "unlimited" internet being capped at 4gb/month) Though I still find lots of places that none of the 3 services can reach... NE GA has as many coverage holes as swiss cheese (though ironically most are fairly small and you can get SOME service if you drive a mile in any direction generally)

Boost is actually a very good deal, and they're trying to shed the "urban" image. More and more phones are using the (much better) Sprint network, instead of the Nextel network, and you can either do 10 cents/minute, $50/month unlimited, or $2/day unlimited.

Virgin mobile is another option, $25 for 300 minutes, unlimited text/web, $40 for 1200 minutes with text/web, or $60 for unlimited everything

I used boost years ago when Nextel was still a strong, reliable network and had almost no problems (discounting the fact that I had 14.4kbps internet MAX and a crappy ancient blackberry as a smartphone) Tho is they're using Sprint's network it's likely only gotten better. Had no complaints

Keep in mind that Virgin uses Sprint's network, and Sprint uses get priority, so you'll have sub-average call quality on their busiest times and 1xRTT data on those times.

@sdotcarter:
If you only want it for unlimited web, keep in mind there's a 4gb/month cap and going over that is "excessive usage" and they either slap your hand, fine you, or terminate your service (with you paying early termination fees if applicable)

If I remember correctly T-Mobile has a $1/day talk all you want with other T-Mobile users.
Unless they changed it.

T-Mobile, IMO, is the best. Once you get the "Gold" status ($100 of filling up), you get 10 cents per minute and each time you fill up, it gets you another year of service.

Back