"Pause" When Loading Web Pages - Any Ideas Why?

AMD_RULES

2[H]4U
I'm experiencing a problem with one of my older machines on my home network. It is an HP a700y running a P4 2.8ghz, 512MB RAM, 160GB ATA133 HDD, and Win XP Home. For some reason when loading any webpage, there is a "pause" for a few seconds unlike my other machines. What could be causing this? I am running McAfee Security Suite with Virus Scan, Firewall, and Privacy Filter. I am not running the Spam Filter. Should I add another 512MB ram?? I have some sitting here.

Thanks! :)

yes you should add another stick of ram.

are you using IE7, do you have Phishing Fliter TURNED OFF, not DISABLED but TURNED OFF

that causes a lag. also why the fuck are you running McAfee? hasn't hardforum taught you anything?

and what ever happened to your office servers? did anything ever come out of that?

It runs IE6 actually. No phishing filters on the actual machine, except on my OpenDNS account. :D
I've been meaning to install NOD32 I have here, just haven't got around to it. Trying to fix this problem first. :)

Well wasn't there all that drama over OpenDNS and some redirecting or something?

Things I would try:
- upgrade to IE7
- different browser for shits and giggles
- dns, either flush it or use the isps.

And you keep ignoring question, what happened to that dental server? you posted 300000000 questions on it and we all put alot of time into answering, what ever happened wth it?

Well wasn't there all that drama over OpenDNS and some redirecting or something?

Things I would try:
- upgrade to IE7
- different browser for shits and giggles
- dns, either flush it or use the isps.
Will upgrade browser to IE7. Flushed DNS cache. I'm gonna try and put NOD32 on here today. That may help since this computer is so slow with McAfee.
-------------
YGPM

Update

1. Installed NOD32
  2. Installed Addition 512MB DDR Memory
The internet now loads without any pausing, unless the web server is slow or something.
Got rid of McAfee as well

Dumping McAfee...good choice. Original 512 megs of RAM for XP just browsing is fine, esp with a P4.

Dumping McAfee...good choice. Original 512 megs of RAM for XP just browsing is fine, esp with a P4.
Well with the addition 512MB of ram, the system boots a little faster (aside from an ATA drive) and apps load a bit faster as well.

Well with the addition 512MB of ram, the system boots a little faster (aside from an ATA drive) and apps load a bit faster as well.

That's most likely from dumping McAfee also. Sure more RAM is good, but honestly for basic browsing 'n stuff...you're not using much more than 300-ish megs.

Yesterday I just took over supporting a network for a real estate office. Prior tech had Symantebloat Security Suite on all the workstations, think they were P4 3.0 rigs, most with 512 megs, one was at a gig. They all ran like Pentium 75's trying to run XP...took forever to boot up, get to the desktop, navigate the start menu..everything was so excruciatingly slow....it was like...you just gave up, said "screw it, too slow".

Uninstalled Symantbloat, ran CCleaner, Spybot, some cleaning of unneeded registry stuff and junk in the start menu, first reboot these rigs ran like champs.

Yeah, I would definately say the problem with that was the McAfee Security Suite. That package will make any computer puke.

Back