Patriot Pyro 128gb SSD - $105 AR

It's a good deal, but I don't think I'd buy an ssd with asynchronous Nand unless it cost fifty cents per GB. Prices of better stuff are just falling too much :)

Throwing mine in a C2D laptop that likely wouldn't see the difference anyhow. Main thIng I was looking for was reliability and cost.

Throwing mine in a C2D laptop that likely wouldn't see the difference anyhow. Main thIng I was looking for was reliability and cost.

I just dropped one of the OCZ Petrols (For other Hot Deal) in an older C2D lappy and its made a HUGE difference.. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah I missed the nice OCZ deal u got in on!

I have an agility 2 60gb in another C2D laptop and it does make a big difference. I love the faster resumes from standby.

Pretty decent deal.. I am building a system for a friend next week & if this is still on I will jump in on it (unless another petrol deal comes by)

Yeah, I'm not saying it's a bad ssd or that it won't suit your needs. I just think it should be cheaper :)

It's a good deal, but I don't think I'd buy an ssd with asynchronous Nand unless it cost fifty cents per GB. Prices of better stuff are just falling too much :)

If you really think synchronous is worth so much the Pyro SE seems to be $15 more at newegg with the same rebate.

I haven't paid much attention to the argument for synchronous over async, but the specs are almost identical. Care to fill me in, since I see people whining about this a lot...

If you really think synchronous is worth so much the Pyro SE seems to be $15 more at newegg with the same rebate.

I haven't paid much attention to the argument for synchronous over async, but the specs are almost identical. Care to fill me in, since I see people whining about this a lot...
Probably not with the SE, but yes I would pay more ($140-150) for a Samsung 830, Corsair Performance Pro, Plextor M3/M3P, or an m4 even if I was using SATA II. I have a 128GB m4 in my Mac.
From the SSDreview.com - the original photo won't post here for some reason - site must be blocked http://ssd..com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/AS-SSD-Total.png
asssdtotal.png

In real world single user use the difference is not all that apparent. Especially if you come from spinning disks that there is a HUGE leap from.

In real world single user use the difference is not all that apparent. Especially if you come from spinning disks that there is a HUGE leap from.

I don't disagree with that, but don't kill the messenger. DaJMasta said the specs stated by the SSD maker are almost identical, but as you can see, that's clearly not the case. All I'm saying is they should be cheaper. Who in their right mind is going to argue with that? :p

Agreed :)

In any event. My 60gb was around $120 after rebate just a short time ago. So a 120gb reputable model for $105 I am not going to complain about :D

Take a look at the Vertex 4 review. I am not a fan of async NAND either, but OCZ did some amazing stuff with the Vertex 4 :D

Take a look at the Vertex 4 review. I am not a fan of async NAND either, but OCZ did some amazing stuff with the Vertex 4 :D

The Vertex 4 uses Intel 25nm synchronous Nand, from what I've read - http://www.anandtech.com/show/5719/ocz-vertex-4-review-256gb-512gb/2
I think I've also read that the controller is a rebadged Marvell just like they did with the Octane, but I'd have to dig around to find that. Either way, I prefer Toshiba's implementation (Toggle Nand), and could not be happier with my M3.

Back