Patreon’s New Service Fee Spurs Concern That Creators Will Lose Patrons

I hope to see another service springing up soon. There's nothing special about patreon except that they got there first. This action only leaves them vulnerable for a less greedy competitor to under cut their greedy asses.

Time to start up your own donation site

The kylelikesmoney.com domain name is still available

Nobody's saying Patreon can't make a few bucks with their service but charging the people giving away free money is pretty short sighted. Patreon isn't giving us shit. If I cancel Netflix or Amazon Prime, I lose a bunch. If I cancel Patreon, I lose nothing and actually gain a few bucks a month. So making it more expensive for me to GIVE AWAY money to somebody is an incentive for me to NOT give money away anymore.

Ya gotta think, Patreon is based on free money and offers basically nothing. It takes our money and gives it to a third party and takes a commission for doing so. The 3rd party loses nothing in the transfer because it's money they wouldn't be getting otherwise and it's not money they're giving anything up for like a product. It's a donation, plain and simple. So if I give $3 a month to a site and it gets $2.50 after commissions, that's still a 100% profit for the site. So fees should be on the end of the guy getting the 100% profit and not the people who are paying out of their pockets.

It's kinda like you wanting to slide a couple bucks to the bum outside the coffee shop but instead you give it to me and I hand it to the bum. Now I turn around and charge you $.50 for handing the money to the bum. How does that make sense? Patreon could "fee" themselves right out of business if they're not careful because like I said, they offer us nothing so making us pay them to offer us nothing is not a business model that will last very long.

You make really good points! But I should offer a defense of Patreon even if I like your gist. Noting the fact I'm not a creator so I don't know much about how money works for them or the marketing and visibility of their projects, but I do think Patreon has helped in a few ways, its a website, a pretty centralized site where consumers can work with to discover, manage contact and get their content instead of being forced to go through Paypal or for example, payment processors in other countries, other websites, its like a pretty easy hub, and at least to me, feels like a safe method of transferring money.

So in that sense, this centralization of creators on one platform allows people to more easily access and fund them. I think theres value in that, over piecemeal efforts by individual creators. But again, I don't actually create, I don't actually know much about that process of attaining visibility.

Time for me to schedule a yearly payment from my bank to HardOCP. This way nobody get's Fee'ed up.

I wonder if I setup a Zelle Repeat Payment, would Kyle accept that as support?

I wonder if I can set up a monthly payment directly from my USAA account ?

I'd need to know who to send it to;

Kyle, I think I'll need a account and routing number for where you want direct deposits to go.

I'll check USAA and see if I can do what I want.

This is turning out to be a real shit storm as I've learned that some people really do have 100 $1 pledges spread out amongst 100 creators adding an additional $38 a month on top of that. Kinda seems like the Patreon shot itself in the foot on this one. Hope it doesn't turn gangrenous.

Kyle, if you find an alternative, There are plenty of us who would donate just to spite patreon.

I read Christopher Franklin’s post on it, and he questions even how Patreon earns more money on it, since now, 10 pledges of $1 each are now broken up into 10 charges. So Patreon itself incurs 10 processing fees:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/obligatory-fee-15779410

He basically sees it as a clusterfuck for everyone.
I especially dislike it being separated into a bunch of small charges, since that makes it harder to track.

I think instead of 12 $1 pledges I will do 1 $12 pledge per year...

But I think [H] should see if there are other options for this type of service. This change just pisses me off.

[H] should setup a wallet for a few cryptos. and their math is off. a 5% flat fee does not if you have a flat fee plus a fee%.

It'd be nicer if they just ate the costs of the transaction fees, but oh no... lets not fucking cut into their profits!

Back