Patreon’s New Service Fee Spurs Concern That Creators Will Lose Patrons

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Monkey God

Monkey God Mangina Full of Sand

They will likely regret this.

2. chockomonkey

chockomonkey [H]ardForum Junkie

I hope to see another service springing up soon. There's nothing special about patreon except that they got there first. This action only leaves them vulnerable for a less greedy competitor to under cut their greedy asses.

3. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Time to start up your own donation site

The kylelikesmoney.com domain name is still available

MacLeod likes this.
  4. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

You make really good points! But I should offer a defense of Patreon even if I like your gist. Noting the fact I'm not a creator so I don't know much about how money works for them or the marketing and visibility of their projects, but I do think Patreon has helped in a few ways, its a website, a pretty centralized site where consumers can work with to discover, manage contact and get their content instead of being forced to go through Paypal or for example, payment processors in other countries, other websites, its like a pretty easy hub, and at least to me, feels like a safe method of transferring money.

So in that sense, this centralization of creators on one platform allows people to more easily access and fund them. I think theres value in that, over piecemeal efforts by individual creators. But again, I don't actually create, I don't actually know much about that process of attaining visibility.

5. lcpiper

lcpiper [H]ardForum Junkie

I wonder if I can set up a monthly payment directly from my USAA account ?

I'd need to know who to send it to;

Kyle, I think I'll need a account and routing number for where you want direct deposits to go.

I'll check USAA and see if I can do what I want.

6. dpoverlord

dpoverlord [H]ard|Gawd

can you take venmo? easy will stop PAtreon and send $12 right now

7. Thorvaldsen

Thorvaldsen n00b

This is turning out to be a real shit storm as I've learned that some people really do have 100 $1 pledges spread out amongst 100 creators adding an additional $38 a month on top of that. Kinda seems like the Patreon shot itself in the foot on this one. Hope it doesn't turn gangrenous.

8. viscountalpha

viscountalpha 2[H]4U

Kyle, if you find an alternative, There are plenty of us who would donate just to spite patreon.

Brian_B likes this.
  9. gsilver

gsilver Gawd

I read Christopher Franklin’s post on it, and he questions even how Patreon earns more money on it, since now, 10 pledges of $1 each are now broken up into 10 charges. So Patreon itself incurs 10 processing fees:
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/obligatory-fee-15779410

He basically sees it as a clusterfuck for everyone.
    I especially dislike it being separated into a bunch of small charges, since that makes it harder to track.

10. GoodBoy

GoodBoy [H]ard|Gawd

I think instead of 12 $1 pledges I will do 1 $12 pledge per year...

But I think [H] should see if there are other options for this type of service. This change just pisses me off.

11. cdabc123

cdabc123 2[H]4U

[H] should setup a wallet for a few cryptos. and their math is off. a 5% flat fee does not if you have a flat fee plus a fee%.

12. SighTurtle

SighTurtle [H]ard|Gawd

13. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

It'd be nicer if they just ate the costs of the transaction fees, but oh no... lets not fucking cut into their profits!

14. Mister E

Mister E ?

This is good news but some damage has already been done.