• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Patch Tuesday Upgrades Cause Windows BSOD

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Joined
May 9, 2000
Messages
75,399
If you installed the recommended updates offered in this week’s Patch/Upgrade/Black Tuesday upgrade and suffered a BSOD, you are not alone. The problems are caused by three different patches offered on Tuesday.

Problematic kernel-mode driver updates aren't unusual at all. Now that Microsoft is releasing more of them, problems seem to be cropping up more frequently.
 
No problems on my Windows 8,1 machines but I am seeing this on the Windows 7 machines at work. I figured they released a bad update.
 
Uh oh, I think my computer is set to automatically reboot today to apply some updates for Windows 8.1 64-bit. Better cancel that just in case
 
Seemed confusing as to whether it just affected Windows 7 or not. I only had one of the listed updates showing on my Windows 8.1 computer so I went ahead and restarted. Came back with no problems. :)
 
The morning after these patches i started suffering tons of BSOD after not having any on this machine ever.

but they were all listing the driver that caused it as Samsung RAPID driver for my 840 EVO and disabling it stoped the BSOD ( it was 000007e not 050)

weird , i hope its related and it gets fixed
 
My computer started acting weird right after this last update. I thought it was a hardware issue or something I had downloaded, but in the back of my mind I kept going back to the update. I have really slow boot times and when my desktop comes up none of my shortcuts are there (initially), it seems very glitchy. Will they fix this?
 
Good thing I read this. We were just about to install these updates on our servers. Declined them all.
 
The first update in July caused a few issues with mshtml.dll crahing IE11 with our software, had to roll back and stop any further IE11 security updates.

They are making many changes lately, I've never had any issues with updates until the last few months.
 
2 desktops, a laptop, and a tablet, no problems. Something tells me the machines that crashed were already being exploited. I used to see this all the time with infected PCs.
 
Thanks for the headsup, I'll leave updating for a while.
 
My main system this morning BSOD on boot after updates. Windows 7 64bit professional. I ran repair utility after 5 reboots. It ran for 20min said no fix for system but on reboot windows loaded.
 
Does not surprise me one bit. Ever since MS made Windows update things like this can happen. Updates are not tested by manufactures anymore quality control has gone out the door. This is why I miss Service packs. At least with service packs you had some quality control.
 
My 2 desktops and Laptop seem fine, no BSOD.
 
Yeah, I've set update just to notify me, and I usually wait about a month. As was said, there's no QC anymore, so better to let everyone else beta test this crap.
 
I never accept driver updates from Microsoft. I've had too many problems. If it is not broken don't fix it.
 
Ah, thanks for posting this. I updated my laptop (Win7 64 Ultimate) and upon reboot got the 0x50 BSOD related to win32k.sys. I thought my SSD was bad or something, but apparently I get this grief for goddamned font update? Thanks, MS.
 
I haven't had any issues since the update, but I haven't applied the optional Win 64 update.
 
that is wacked, i BSOD about 2 minutes after i read this thread... and i updated about an hour ago.
 
that is wacked, i BSOD about 2 minutes after i read this thread... and i updated about an hour ago.

My Win 8 laptop said it wanted to reboot to finish updates a few minutes ago so I quick checked and had of the problem KB updates installed. I uninstalled that one before rebooting and so good so far.
 
My main system this morning BSOD on boot after updates. Windows 7 64bit professional. I ran repair utility after 5 reboots. It ran for 20min said no fix for system but on reboot windows loaded.

I had to use a recovery disk but after running the startup repair (which found nothing) I was able to restart and boot in successfully. I checked updates and they are all still there so I don't know how running an unsuccessful startup repair could change anything but it seems to have worked.
 
Ahhh interesting. I had my first blue screen in years the other day. I have my updates set to automatic.
 
Finally!
Had constant BSOD after the update.
I was hoping to see an article like this on Wednesday.
When I didn't see anything on [H], I thought it was my hardware/overclock.
Tried down clocking, memory tests, nothing worked.
Ultimately was able to roll back to a previous restore point and now all is good.

Is MS working on this?
I'm still getting bugged to install these updates.
 
I updated a day or 2 ago no issues and my PC is always running. Those with issues, should probably compare hardware.
 
3 Windows 8.1 boxes, all with different hardware .. no issues

Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 1155 w/16GB DDR3 setup w/R270 video card
Intel Pentium G3220 1150 w/4GB DDR3 setup w/7850 video card
AMD E-350 w/4GB DDR3 setup w/onboard AMD video

..all running different manufactorer's SSD's for main drive
 
Ah, thanks for posting this. I updated my laptop (Win7 64 Ultimate) and upon reboot got the 0x50 BSOD related to win32k.sys. I thought my SSD was bad or something, but apparently I get this grief for goddamned font update? Thanks, MS.

Who cares about your cussing and swearing, I want to know how you fixed it?
 
But I do have KB2976897 from the original article. I am installing all but that one.
 
you can safely delete that file as windows is smart enough to regenerate the file and then install all the updates (its Not smart enough to handle what ever error is in the FNTCACHE.DAT file and result is BSOD

if your stuck in the BSOD loop just boot up a recovery disk (or F8 if you still use windows 7) and delete the file and CMD line just type del c:\Windows\System32\FNTCACHE.DAT and then reboot the pc normally
 
I have the services set to disable, thanks the Gods with all the problems I had with this Dream Machine 2014 build.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
had a laptop that was effected. just reinstalled since i was going to anyway.
 
Back
Top