Patch Panel Organization Software

BuGaLoU

[H]ard|Gawd
I am hoping something like this already exists out there so I dont have to write something from scratch.

What I need is some software to Identify different ports on patch panels. What I want to do is to have a terminal in everyone of our network closets here at work where techs can pull up and app that has a visualization of the patch panels at hand and can click on the various ports to see whats on it. I would also like a feature to search for computer names or IP addresses and information such as that, and have the program tell me which patch panel and port it is on.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Good luck! I haven't heard of such a software. If you write your own, the biggest issue you'll have is keeping it up-to-date; unless it dynamically queries the switches, there is a very high likelyhood of it getting stale.

Fint said:
Good luck! I haven't heard of such a software. If you write your own, the biggest issue you'll have is keeping it up-to-date; unless it dynamically queries the switches, there is a very high likelyhood of it getting stale.

Manual is fine because we do a bi-montly network audit where we check our switches so we can update the data then. Although a dynamic query would be interesting!

BuGaLoU said:
Manual is fine because we do a bi-montly network audit where we check our switches so we can update the data then. Although a dynamic query would be interesting!

It could be done through performing SNMP queries on managed ethernet switches. Just need to port that information to an application and have it deciphered and displayed. In fact, I know Fluke's LanMapshot does such a task.

Back