• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

PATA to USB?

Schalldämpfer

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
217
I recently acquired a mobo/CPU/RAM combo with a seemingly broken on-board SATA controller. I'd like to turn this into a small Linux server and was thinking I could either use an external HDD or a USB flash.

Since I already have a PATA HDD, I was hoping to just grab a PATA to USB cable and be done with it. Would this be a wise route to take? I don't know if I want to get a PCI or PCI-E SATA controller, since I don't have a readily available SATA HDD currently.
 
@Schalldämpfer: If your onboard SATA controller is not working, you should be able to find a PCI to PATA card. I have a ton of old PCI Creative Sound cards flying about that IIRC have a PATA controller on board too, you might be able to use something like that?!? Just a thought...

What motherboard did you get?
 
@Schalldämpfer: If your onboard SATA controller is not working, you should be able to find a PCI to PATA card. I have a ton of old PCI Creative Sound cards flying about that IIRC have a PATA controller on board too, you might be able to use something like that?!? Just a thought...

What motherboard did you get?

It's from HP. I believe it's a 4P48L or something like that. AM2 mobo. I'll try to look for a PCI to PATA card. I mean, whichever is cheapest and easiest to access. It's not going to be anything heavy duty.
 
Back
Top