pata to sata conversion - Asus mainboard

zeef

n00b
Joined
May 31, 2015
Messages
9
We've got an Asus P6X58D Premium mainboard with 1 sata harddrive. I'm trying to add a pata harddrive using a converter that plugs into the back of the drive. I've got 2 cable converters for the power - 1 to the pc board and the other to the drive. I tried all jumper settings (cs, slave, master w/slave, master) but the bios isn't recognizing the drive. The red led on the pc board lights up.

Help appreciated.
 
The drive is good. I used it and the sata converter board in a Dell Optiplex gx620 and it worked with no problems. I also can hear it spinning.
 
My bet is an incompatibility between the convertor and the motherboard. Guess it could even be an incompatibility between the drive and the motherboard.

Easiest thing would be to get a USB to pata adapter.

Edit: Curious as to why in the world you want to hang on to a pata drive.
 
If it's just for the capacity - I don't normally say this but - it's not worth it. PATA can be a nasty source of slowdowns, and the drive might have developed defects since 2006. You can get two 64 gigabyte flash drives and actually get better performance.

If you really want to try the adapter, try dropping from AHCI to legacy IDE.
 
Get a USB adapter if it has important data you want to recover. Throw it away if it doesn't and get a newer HDD or SSD. Both will be a good bit faster than that drive even if it's a 10k rpm one.
 
Back
Top