Password sync question

wtburnette

2[H]4U
My company has a lot of remote users (telecommuters). These users all have laptops and they connect to the company via SSL VPN (using F5 to connect to our terminal server). This works great for most of our telecommuters (much better then the old Cisco VPN we used previously). The problem is, since the laptop itself never connects to the network, the password on the laptop and the password used for network access gets out of sync pretty quickly (we have them change their passwords every 60 days). We still have our Cisco VPN concentrator up, for the few users who still need to VPN in that way, so my suggestion was to have the users connect via that method whenever they need to change their passwords, but my boss nixed that idea. My question is, does anyone know of another way to sync the passwords without connecting to the domain? Since the laptops are members of the domain, you can't change the password unless the laptop is connected to the network since the domain controller is unavailable. I don't think there is a way to do this, but I need to make sure before I say so to my boss. You know how bosses are... :rolleyes:

I think I am missing something here.... Once you connect to the VPN the DC should be available and the user should be able to change the password; however, traffic to the DC may be blocked as a security measure. I have a little more experiance with RRAS in server 2000 and 2003 and if my memory serves me correctly becuase it uses your AD user account it will allow you to change your password. Hope this helps a little.

Nope, we're using SSL VPN through IE, connecting to a terminal server session. Therefore the machine itself never gets registered on the network while connected with this method.

Back