password recovery code?

badbadtz560

Limp Gawd
Let me know if this is deemed inappropriate. :D I'm asking this for my classwork.. and I don't think these programs can be used to hack w/o physical access anyway.

I'm doing a final presentation for my network security class and like the idea of password security (and why you just shouldn't store passwords anywhere except your own noggin :D). However, one big thing that I'm looking at is password recovery tools. I've got several working ones, but is there any way I can get some example code of how these programs decrypt the files?

I need a part where I can say something to this effect: as you can see from this code, this line shows program-x applying y to decrypt the password from the z-account by using the password storage file found in the installation folder.

It'd be my guess that these programs simply search out specific files in their default folders and decrypt the passwords out of these files... but I just can't find any code that proves it. Can anyone help me out? (preferably w/ a password recovery that would work .. and code that goes with it?)

I'm familiar w/ john the ripper - but john tries dictionary wds and such in a brute-like method - actually takes time to crack the encryption b/c it keeps guessing

These programs are fairly instant - I'm guessing there's a set algorithm for the password storage that's a lot less secure than account passwords?

What kind of passwords are we talking about? Windows passwords? 'Cause you're not going to "decrypt" those. Your only bet is a massive hash table.

oh no.. i was referring to passwords for things such as AIM, msn, outlook, etc. I found some code tho. Thx for the help. Here's a direct paste from some info if anybody else was interested.

"now Credentials manager is used (Windows password manager) along with a dynamic salt value and entropy. Credentials manager data is stored in the following registry path:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\"

Back