Password protecting XP Pro shared folders.

In Windows XP Pro. Is there a way to make a shared folder have password authentication?

Me and my roommate are trying to make a folder on each of our computers to make storage swapping a little bit easier. However, if we leave the folders shared for to long they get crapped up with viruses and stuff floating around the network. So we thought maybe if we could give the "Everyone" permission set (or some similar account) a password so that only he and myself are able to use the folder.

Any help to figure this out would be appreciated.

having your drives as NTFS would be best but it is not neccessary, you can do it all with Network Share permissions.

Create an account on your PC for your friend and vise vera with a password.
Create the shared folder, remove the "Everyone" group from the network share ACL.
Input your friend's account name in the ACL and assign the permissions you want him to have.
With network Share permissions the options are "Read, Change, and Full"
By removing the "Everyone" group from the ACL no one else will have permissions to view the share.
Since his name is on it he will be prompted to authenticate and allowed access.

well so far it hasnt worked.
i shared the folder, in Sharing> Permissions, i put his username that i created on my computer and gave him full access to the share but we keep getting and access error when we try to open the folder that is shared

Are you at a college?
Are you on the same workgroup, or are your PC's joined to a school's domain?

Does it gt prompted for a user name and password?
What is the error, "Access Denied" ?

How about setting up some FTP servers on each PC? I don't think you are going to accomplish what you want to just using the Windows Sharing functionalities.

lol cant believe i didnt think of ftp
we setup the ftp servers works fine :)
thanks anyhow

nicolas9510 said:
well so far it hasnt worked.
i shared the folder, in Sharing> Permissions, i put his username that i created on my computer and gave him full access to the share but we keep getting and access error when we try to open the folder that is shared

You have to modify both the share permissions and the permissions tab on the folder otherwise the most restrictive (file/folder permissions) will win. In fact, you can set "Everyone Full Control" on the share permissions as long as you lock it down on the File/folder side.

Yay for FTP. That was the most brilliant idea ever. I still can't believe niether of us thought of that. Thanks LoStMaTt for the idea.

Back