Password protecting folders in XP- folders, not files

Discussion in 'General Software' started by General Crespin, Jun 28, 2006.

1. General Crespin

General Crespin 2[H]4U

G'morning all,

We're looking for a program that will allow us to password-protect folders on Windows XP. I've seen all the other threads on this subject and the linked programs and web pages (e.g. PC World's article; Cryptex) but nothing that does what we want.

There are a lot of programs that come up on Google; has anyone used any of these? I've tried a few demos but I'm looking for any other recommendations.

Thanks!

2. djnes

djnes [H]ard as it Gets

Would simply editing the permissions and security on those directories do the trick?

3. General Crespin

General Crespin 2[H]4U

Yes, should have mentioned that: that's a last resort. We have different people using the same accounts, before we go through the hassle of logging on and off (Small business! Leave me alone! :p) I want to try anything else.

4. compslckr

compslckr [H]ardForum Junkie

why not just set up a domain server and give each user their own folder on the server? it would be the most secure way to do it, and everyone should be happy.

5. General Crespin

General Crespin 2[H]4U

Same problem as I mentioned in my previous post: different people, same user accounts.

I've used a few demo programs that allow password protection of individual files and folders.