Password protected sharing in Windows XP?????

KamaL

n00b
HI there guys...

I'm on a local network, a normal Workgroup, and running Windows XP..

I wanted to do a simple thing, which turned out to be quite complicated:

All I want to to share a drive from my Pc ot the whole network, so can access oit from another computer on the network, but most of all, I want it to be Password protected... I tried everything, and asked lots of people, but I simply couldn't. I could actually make it Private, I mean not being able to access it at all, but it's not what I'm searching for.

I tried through the advanced file sharing, but I'm sure I'm missing something...

Moreover, if it's possible, I'd like to add a uniqe password to the driver/folder shared, and not my user's account password, like in Windows 2000 I think...

Is it possible??

Thanx in Advance... :p

Try this, first off disable simple file sharing.

Create a local account with the username/password you want the remote person to use.

Create a folder that you want to share. Right click, properties. Go to the sharing tab and share the folder. Go to the permissions and make sure that the "everyone" group has full rights.

Now go to the security tab. Remove all users execpt the local admin account and the remote account that you created.

Now only users logged on locally as admins or that specific user can get into that folder. If you try and access that folder remotely, a login box will come up asking you for a username/password.

The reason you keep full rights to everyone in the share permissions is due to the fact that you only need either share or ntfs permissions on any folder. It wouldn't hurt to use both, but then it greatly complicates matters. Standard MS procedures is to give everyone share permissions and then use the ntfs permissions to actually control rights since ntfs has a much more granular level of control than share permissions.

Thanx very much for the reply... But I didn't understand a simple step:

Originally posted by TrueBuckeye

Now go to the security tab. Remove all users execpt the local admin account and the remote account that you created.

Where is this tab found??? I simply don't understand where it is...
:(

Thanx :)

Originally posted by KamaL
Thanx very much for the reply... But I didn't understand a simple step:

Where is this tab found??? I simply don't understand where it is...
:(

Thanx :)

First off you have to disable simple file sharing before you see that. To do that, open My Computer, go to Tools > Options, then go to the View Tab. In the center box scroll to the very bottom and remove the checkmark next to "use simple filesharing".

Now when you go into the folder properties you should see the security tab.

Originally posted by TrueBuckeye
First off you have to disable simple file sharing before you see that. To do that, open My Computer, go to Tools > Options, then go to the View Tab. In the center box scroll to the very bottom and remove the checkmark next to "use simple filesharing".

Now when you go into the folder properties you should see the security tab.
I have the same issue where I can't see the Security tab either. I disabled simple file sharing last month, but just got around to wanting to use file sharing.

Then it occurred to me that I disabled file and print sharing in the Network services. Maybe that's the reason why the Security tab isn't showing?

In addition, it should be noted that WinXP Home only has simple file sharing. Password protection on files and folders (ACL) requires WinXP Pro.

Are you using the NTFS filesystem or FAT32 as (to my knowledge) there is no security tab with fat32 as it doesn't support file permissions in that sense.

Originally posted by bmh.01
Are you using the NTFS filesystem or FAT32 as (to my knowledge) there is no security tab with fat32 as it doesn't support file permissions in that sense.
NTFS for me.

The important question is XP pro or XP home, which mfm touched on. If its home, you're gimped, you either share a folder, or you dont. XP Pro, the securty tab should be the 3rd? tab in when you get properties on a folder, and the second tab when you get properties on a file. On a folder, the sharing and security tabs should be next to eachother.

Originally posted by mfm
Then it occurred to me that I disabled file and print sharing in the Network services. Maybe that's the reason why the Security tab isn't showing?
I am a bit mistaken here. I kept saying the Security tab when I meant to say the Sharing tab. The Security tab is there.

The Sharing tab wasn't showing, not until I installed and enabled File and Printer Sharing in Network services, which I just did. My eagerness to closed down my PCs when I first installed WinXP Pro last month caused this problem. Now that I have a firewall in place (SmoothWall), this shouldn't be an issue.

Originally posted by SoulkeepHL
The important question is XP pro or XP home, which mfm touched on. If its home, you're gimped, you either share a folder, or you dont. XP Pro, the securty tab should be the 3rd? tab in when you get properties on a folder, and the second tab when you get properties on a file. On a folder, the sharing and security tabs should be next to eachother.

Good point guys. I only use Pro so I didn't even think about Home.

Sorry for that oversight.

Back