Password protect folders?

honkee

2[H]4U
is this possible to do in windows xp?
im tryin to password protect a couple of folders

t.i.a.

I use this Link you can get it at pcworld and its free and the good part is that the program allows you to store the password either on your machines hard drive or in your head let's see annyone hack into someones head only the goverment can do that.

Cryptext

Sometimes you'd just rather not share your files with anyone. Install this freeware, right-click on any file, and encrypt it using a 160-bit key. It uses a combination of SHA-1 and RC4 cryptographic algorithms to encrypt files, and generates a value to ensure that no two files are encrypted with the same keystream. This shell extension is available in English, French, German, Spanish, and Portuguese versions.

Covertoperator said:
I use this Link you can get it at pcworld and its free and the good part is that the program allows you to store the password either on your machines hard drive or in your head let's see annyone hack into someones head only the goverment can do that.

have you used this before? how does it work, i.e. when you double-click a password protected folder does it just jump up w/ an input box asking for the password or what?

Carnival Forces said:
have you used this before? how does it work, i.e. when you double-click a password protected folder does it just jump up w/ an input box asking for the password or what?

Sorry about the time it took to respond to your question.

What happens is that it will open up a box asking if you would like to find a program on the Internet to open this program or if you would like to select a program from your computer if they don't right click on it to decrypt it first that is if it has already been encrypted.

Also you can encrypt more than just files w/ it you can do just about any kind of program or pictures or executables however this will not keep the encrypted file from being erased or deleted if someone wants it gotten rid of so as always back it up somewhere else and make sure the backup is encrypted as well.

This is what someone will see if they open a password protected file with wordpad this just a small part of a file titled "Lou Costello calls to buy a computer from Bud Abbott2.doc

LÁ®Z ÙOLò
÷l+¤8Í;¯¼]¢Ej|ï{F±‘U¿ ë¹Ø¼†œƒ6Tî)RH¦iŽÁ½3Ý쌑‹Â!ąèH¹ܘˆ*·×å!lÑupJPÚØ Ìi÷>XtW¿9?”¦þê

Back