Password management/memory

Cerulean

[H]F Junkie
Hey,

I am wanting to make a unique password for literally everything I have that requires a password. However, if I did this, it would require me to record everything and constantly look-up passwords. Is there some sort of hardware device or some good, organized, and easy way of managing/recalling/generating passwords like this?

Is it just for a single user? If so, just get keepass, roboform,

Google it, there are a billion free password keepers

KeePass

There are also schemes like PwdHash that use a master password to generate a unique password for each website. I like this idea for random web passwords because you don't have to maintain a database of them all, but obviously you still need a regular password manager for more important things.

Another vote for KeePass here. Used it for maintaining a database of client logins and passwords for their network devices, servers, etc. You can even export the info and send to someone else if you needed to, give them the encryption key and then they can open it.

An excel spreadsheet in a departmental folder in which you never realized is set to "Everyone" with read access.

J/K Just making fun of our setup at work... well I fixed the "Everyone" access but who knows how many years it was that way...

One thing you can look into is a program called Pins. It's free, I use it at work and at home. I suppose you could easily put a pins file on a network share as well (just make sure the permissions are well done!)

KeePass. A no frills password vault that's free, open source, portable, and runs on mobile devices.

Thanks guys! I went with KeePass and have already filled it with my stuff. =) Just need a FireFox plugin now.

KeePass for the PC and KeePass for the BlackBerry (w/ device encryption enabled). Great combo.

Back