passive watercooler pump?

category_five said:
The reliability is the only reason I want to do this. There are many applications where the "golf cart" is a superior solution over the "sports car". Sports cars certainly have their uses but not everyone wants the maintenance associated with one.

Currently if you wanted to implement a computer in a remote location and want zero maintenance time you are stuck with a passive heat sink and a processor several generations old.

Couple a passive cooling solution that works reliably on a higher heat output processor with solid state memory mass storage (USB flash drive type) and you have a computer that you could set up running in a storage closet and potentially never have to physically maintain.

It is becoming increasingly obvious that one of the bottlenecks to higher processor speed is efficient thermal solutions. Unless there is a massive shift in the method by which computer processors run more efficient cooling is needed. As it stands water cooling is certainly efficient enough but is too unreliable for the mainstream and this reliability needs to be addressed before we will see water cooling taken seriously by the industry.

That pumpless watercooling system still requires a fan, and therefore is no better an option than a traditional heatsink+fan. Not to mention the heatsinks they have today, what with all the heatpipes and such will do a much better job at cooling and handle a higher heat output than that pumpless system.

Water cooling is by no means unreliable, when used properly it is no less reliable than a regular heatsink. The problem is that mistakes can still happen, and when they do in a water cooled system the result could be a whole lotta water on a whole lotta expensive stuff that doesn't like water :)

A pumpless system does not solve the reservations that the big players have with watercooling. The pump is not the issue, the main issue is the fact that water + electricity = bad. Pump failure is no different, nor more common than the failure of the fan on your heatsink.

Now before you go saying that you could place the radiator on that pumpless system some place cold so that it doesn't require a fan....let me rebuttle right now with "Well then why not take it a step further and place said computer in antartica open to the cold and do away with that whole heatsink mess altogether."

PS : Dont bring up cases of other systems such as transformers and old autos that used a passive water cooling system as any type of proof that it will work on a computer. The physics wont let a pumpless watercooling system work much better than that other system (w/o resorting to some sort of heatpipe situation with evaporation and condensing). I could say that you can fit an elephant inside of a boxcar, so then it should be feasible to fit that same elephant inside of a model train.

That pumpless watercooling system still requires a fan
I think I've been clear in saying I am not going to use a fan.

Now before you go saying that you could place the radiator on that pumpless system some place cold so that it doesn't require a fan....
Sure, some people use that as a solution but condensation becomes an issue. In any case in most places it's not cold year round. But once again I have made no mention of this.

Water cooling is by no means unreliable, when used properly it is no less reliable than a regular heatsink. The problem is that mistakes can still happen, and when they do in a water cooled system the result could be a whole lotta water on a whole lotta expensive stuff that doesn't like water
Good point.

PS : Dont bring up cases of other systems such as transformers and old autos that used a passive water cooling system as any type of proof that it will work on a computer.
Actually I intend to look into how transformers are used to passively water cool electronics. Of course your right that the technology is not directly applicable twords computers.

The physics wont let a pumpless watercooling system work much better than that other system (w/o resorting to some sort of heatpipe situation with evaporation and condensing).
/shrug

category_five said:
Actually I intend to look into how transformers are used to passively water cool electronics. Of course your right that the technology is not directly applicable twords computers.

/shrug

Actually, we were saying that passive coolant systems are used to COOL transformers, not that transformers play some part in making passive coolant loops work for electronics. I don't know if it was miscommunicated earlier or if you just got confused, but I didn't want to send you chasing info on something that doesn't relate, or exist :D

Originally Posted by category_five

Actually, we were saying that passive coolant systems are used to COOL transformers, not that transformers play some part in making passive coolant loops work for electronics. I don't know if it was miscommunicated earlier or if you just got confused, but I didn't want to send you chasing info on something that doesn't relate, or exist

Thank you, that should read "Actually I intend to look into how water cooling is used to passively cool transformers". Many apologies.

Back