• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Passive Speakers & Amp vs. Powered w/ PC

Jellyfishpudding

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2006
Messages
249
I'm debating on ditching my 2.1 desktop speakers for a couple of passive Polk Audio bookshelf speakers with an amp and sub. Naturally, the speakers will be much better quality. I guess I'm just wondering if people prefer this setup versus using a boxed 2.1 set of Logitechs, for example.

The only thing I've read is that passive speakers used with your rig would need to be positioned differently (off the the side aiming inward) if you want the same highs and mids you'd expect from desktop audio. Does this sound right?

Pros and cons?

Thanks!
FiSH
 
Passive speakers generally take up far more desk space and are more expensive than their 2.1 boxed counterparts.

That aside, they also generally sound far better than the 2.1 boxed sets.

The concerns about placement are valid, however, as most passive speakers are designed to have breathing room around them. Many may also need to be positioned further away from you than active speakers (due to their designs).

I wouldn't really consider the placement concerns as cons, however, given that there are so many passive speakers on the market that proper placement varies.

In college I used Polk Monitor bookshelves with a Dayton sub and a Pioneer receiver and I loved them for the money. (I now use active monitors for my computer.) I think you will be very happy moving over to Polk passives.
 
I would look at the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
I bought them to put in another room to hook to my TV and tested them in my media room and was totally blown away by how well they sound.
I use active speakers on my PC setup, Alesis M1 Active MK2, which are quite large.
cube-drives.jpg
 
Thanks for the info. Here's what I'm working towards. I'm opening up a closet in my finished basement to create an alcove for my desk. The walls in the closet are not yet finished, so I can pretty much do what I want. I had in mind two passive Polk bookshelf speakers that would sit inside a box sunk into the wall so they'd be flush. If this wouldn't be ideal for passives, I'd gladly stick with active speakers. I'd just like to find a quality set similar to what I have pictured. Maybe some small powered studio monitors?

My photoshopped creation of the project. What are your thoughts?

desk.jpg
 
Last edited:
How are the speakers getting air through their rear ports if they are in the wall like that? The rear ports need about 5 inches or so behind them to not affect the sound quality.

You can always go with front-ported speakers in this case though.
 
How are the speakers getting air through their rear ports if they are in the wall like that? The rear ports need about 5 inches or so behind them to not affect the sound quality.

You can always go with front-ported speakers in this case though.



if those are polk m30s like they look like they have a bracket /rubber bumpers on the back to hold the speakers off the wall a bit to give the port a bit of breathing room.

i have polk m30s mounted like that it isn't bad.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Here's what I'm working towards. I'm opening up a closet in my finished basement to create an alcove for my desk. The walls in the closet are not yet finished, so I can pretty much do what I want. I had in mind two passive Polk bookshelf speakers that would sit inside a box sunk into the wall so they'd be flush. If this wouldn't be ideal for passives, I'd gladly stick with active speakers. I'd just like to find a quality set similar to what I have pictured. Maybe some small powered studio monitors?

My photoshopped creation of the project. What are your thoughts?

I think that's the exact same chair I use at work and I found it in the attic, comfy as hell! :p
 
Pros of passive:

- Much much much better audio quality
- Lots of options, you're in control of exactly how you want your music/movies to sound. There's not alot of flexibility, if any, with computer speaker setup.
- A very good investment, the equipment practically lasts forever, so..


Cons:

- Cost is the obvious one, I got a little carried away on mine and spent far more than I would have liked, but it is the better investment. I've had 3/4 years of joy with my speakers/sub with no regrets whatsoever.
- Space is the second already mentioned one, You need desk/shelf space for your speakers/amp, and floor space for your subwoofer (which depending on the model can be pretty huge).


I'm comparing passive to computer logitech type speakers, not active monitors, that's a ballpark that I'm not too familiar with.
 
I went this route for a little while and am going back to dedicated PC speakers...

I have my main rig in my bedroom (so the kids dont screw it up with malware) so it doubles as a way to listen to music and watch TV / movies. Primarily though I used it for games. My setup used a Hafler Pro 2400 amp hooked to a SB X-Fi titanium, I tried several sets of speakers including JBL 4410 Studio monitors, JBL 4408 Studio Monitors, JBL Control 5, and a couple sets of misc bookshelf sized speakers and even floor standing speakers. I even tried the MAudio AV40s. Don't get me wrong.... the audio was great for music and etc when far away. But with anything but the 4410s I didn't get that deep impactful base for games. Then on top of it the speakers were HUGE and looked out of place and I couldnt get the right positioning for nearfiled sound for games to really get that positional audio feel. The AV40s worked better for nearfield but again I didnt get the deep bass.

I have the corsair SP2500s coming this week and will be switching out to those. I feel this would be best for my use of primarily gaming at close range, and should be good enough for when I do occasionally listen to music or watch movies / tv. Plus it will free up some desk space that is much needed and give a nice clean look.

So depending on what you are using the sound setup for and how far away you will mostly be listening to it, really should determine what you get.
 
Back
Top