Passive for desktop use

celwin

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a spare Onkyo receiver laying around. Instead of getting rid of it, i was thinking of using it with my pc. Initially I was thinking of getting active monitors, but I have the space and would prefer a 5.1 setup as opposed to powered 2.1 system. What are some good budget passive book shelf speakers that are good for desktop use?

The answer would depend on what your budget actually is. I would imagine Steve Mnuchin's idea of "budget" is a lot different than a high school student would be for example.

I think the next question becomes, are there decor, color, and/or size requirements, or is pure performance the only thing you care about? And if on the performance end, do you want full range speakers (which will necessitate a larger mid/woofer and possibly larger enclosure) or speakers that excel in the mids and highs, with a separate budget for a sub?

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion on the pioneers. pippenainteasy, my focus are speakers that excel at mids and highs. I plan on getting a sub later. Size is also a concern for me. Don't want anything big. 5" or so would be ideal.

Thanks for the suggestion on the pioneers. pippenainteasy, my focus are speakers that excel at mids and highs. I plan on getting a sub later. Size is also a concern for me. Don't want anything big. 5" or so would be ideal.

Those Pioneers (and be warned, that model specifically) are excellent for their price based on reviews. They're also small. Pioneer also offers a larger floor standing model based on the same design. It's otherwise similar in sound but offers a lot more bass.

Those Pioneers (and be warned, that model specifically) are excellent for their price based on reviews. They're also small. Pioneer also offers a larger floor standing model based on the same design. It's otherwise similar in sound but offers a lot more bass.
I want front speakers that can fit on a pc desk. So floor standings are out of the question.

HiVi is selling DIY kits on Amazon. The smaller bookshelf initially hit at $129 for the pair a couple weeks ago, which was an utterly amazing deal. Now they are up to $200 for the pair. Considering Parts Express sells the woofers for $100 a pop just by themselves, I'd say it's still a good deal. The woofers have 3" voice coils, which is pretty premium at this price range. The tweeter also gets favorable reviews on Parts Express.

https://www.amazon.com/Swans-Booksh...8&qid=1505656598&sr=8-1&keywords=swan+diy+2.2

I was so close to buying these at the $129 price, just as an impulse buy. But I sat on it over the weekend and when I checked on them again, they were at $199.

I personally have the Klipsch R-15M bookshelves that I got on one of the usual Fry's doorbuster sales. Got 'em for like $120-$130 or something. I'm satisfied with them. They need a sub though if you want any level of bass.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Energy RC1 but you will want a sub too because these are very small speakers and only go down to 100hz.

Back