• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Passive DP Adapter not enough..?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
So, I was told here about a month ago that if I was going with 3x1080p screens, a passive Mini-DP to HDMI adapter would be fine to go with my HD 6950.

But now, when I try to connect the third display I get this error:
"To extend the desktop a display must be disabled"

So, why was I told I could use a passive one and do I have to get an active adapter?

Thanks
 
Which adapter did you get? Not all work in Eyefinity setups.
 
You may need an active adapter. Not a dual-link active DP adapter. Those are extremely expensive.
 
Yes you need an active single-link adapter (or a dual link one but they are expensive!).
 
But several people told me that for 1920x1080/60hz, passive is enough..
 
But several people told me that for 1920x1080/60hz, passive is enough..

It is, *IF* you have only 1 or 2 monitors hooked up. If you are hooking up 3 monitors, you'll need active adapters.
 
It is, *IF* you have only 1 or 2 monitors hooked up. If you are hooking up 3 monitors, you'll need active adapters.

Several people told me that I could run 3 with the passive adapter. Darn it.
 
Several people told me that I could run 3 with the passive adapter. Darn it.

that only works if one of the monitors has displayport i believe
with vga/dvi/hdmi etc... all ati cards can only drive 2 monitors at once
they only have 2 clock generators or something
 
Last edited:
Several people told me that I could run 3 with the passive adapter. Darn it.

Several people here?

Because I see this topic come up often, and every time, right from the beginning, the majority of people here, know the right answer. You might find some people who get this wrong but they are the minority here, and are usually quickly corrected. You would need to be extremely unlucky to get the wrong answer on that question in these forums.

You need an active adapter to drive three DVI/HDMI displays. The AMD cards only have clock source for two DVI/HDMI displays.
 
Back
Top