Passive cooler for socket FC-BGA 1170

eldrin

n00b
Does anyone know of any aftermarket coolers for socket FC-BGA 1170 ?

I've recently ordered a low-end desktop PC (Acer Aspire XC-603) and I've found a picture someone posted of the inside:
http://s291.photobucket.com/user/jrwakeman/media/Ebay/20140515_170407.jpg.html

Some motherboards that come with that same CPU use a passive cooler and I'd like to do the same if possible. I'm not familiar with this particular socket -- are 3rd party coolers available and is it safe/possible to replace the cooler in systems like this?

Are you sure it works with socket 1170? It doesn't say so in the specs. Also, it looks like it might be a tight fit, or even a bit too tall, at 82mm. The Acer case is only 100mm wide in total.

The motherboards that passively cool this CPU have much smaller passive heatsinks. The CPU has a TDP of only 10W.

That CPU isn't actually socketed. It's permanently soldered onto the motherboard. As a result, there are no standards and everything tends to be proprietary. You might have some luck with some universal chipset heatsinks, but if you don't have any airflow in the case (presumably that CPU fan is it), it's going to get pretty toasty in there under load and I wouldn't recommend it too much. 10 watts may not be much, but when you have no means of removing the heat, it all adds up over time.

Back