Passing Trim commands with hardware raid?

Qiko

n00b
Joined
Jun 24, 2011
Messages
5
Anyone have experience setting up hardware raid card with trim?

I am looking at arc-1880i and a couple SSDs non raid.

Anything special to setup trim for hardware raid cards? Or am I out of luck?
 
Last edited:
whoa, so trim is just for intel chipsets? I gonna research trim alternatives.

Problem is my marvel chipset is horrible on my Asus 3 Formula board. My intel limited to sata2
 
No, Intel chipsets do not have trim in raid either. However Intel ports in raid mode do have trim if you use them in single drive mode when other drives on the intel raid are using a raid mode.
 
Last edited:
There is no TRIM support for multiple SSDs in a RAID. There is passive garbage collection on some SSDs, or you can use the Intel Toolbox if you have Intel SSDs but you would have to manual run it like once a week.
 
Whoops, sorry guys. I came out confusing. Sorry about that.

I was planning to purchase an SSD in non-raid mode. Just a few SSDs attached to a dedicated hardware raid card in PCIe slot.

My intel and marvel chip on my R3F motherboard are either limited by speed or Sata2.

So I was planning on a dedicated hardware raid just for sata 3 and speed but not raid.

Would the problem still exist with trim support? Sorry about the confusion.
 
Whoops, sorry guys. I came out confusing. Sorry about that.

I was planning to purchase an SSD in non-raid mode. Just a few SSDs attached to a dedicated hardware raid card in PCIe slot.

My intel and marvel chip on my R3F motherboard are either limited by speed or Sata2.

So I was planning on a dedicated hardware raid just for sata 3 and speed but not raid.

Would the problem still exist with trim support? Sorry about the confusion.

Do you mean you would have the SSDs attached to a RAID card, but the RAID card would be in pass-thru or JBOD mode, so that the OS sees individual drives?

If so, then there is a chance TRIM would work. It all depends on the pass-thru mode of your RAID card, and whether it properly passes ATA TRIM commands.
 
yes. Sorry, I need to learn the terminology but yes, just individual drives. I was planning on an arc-1880i and a couple intels and crucials as individual drives.

"pass-thru" and "JBOD" might be what I am looking for to use trim. I will reread that section again in the manual.
 
yes. Sorry, I need to learn the terminology but yes, just individual drives. I was planning on an arc-1880i and a couple intels and crucials as individual drives.

"pass-thru" and "JBOD" might be what I am looking for to use trim. I will reread that section again in the manual.

What do you mean by "planning on"? If you have not yet bought an Areca RAID card, you might want to reconsider whether it is a good use of money to buy a RAID card when all you really need is an HBA.
 
What do you mean by "planning on"? If you have not yet bought an Areca RAID card, you might want to reconsider whether it is a good use of money to buy a RAID card when all you really need is an HBA.

Sound advice.
 
Im am still learning but what do you mean by HBA?

Do you ya mean like a Fibre Channel host bus adapter? Sorry still a noob here.
 
Host Bus Adapter as in a basic PCIe SATA/SAS card with no extra RAID functionality. You just hook up a bunch of disks and use software raid or just use them all as single disks.
 
Back
Top